Dh thinks she's add

i don't think she is...but for some reason dh thinks our dd is ADD..she's 28 months and what I feel like is normal toddler behavior, he does not.....such as, she doesn't sit still very long..like at dinner...I think it's normal two year old behavior..she'll sit still for her fave tv show..umm, if she's mad, she'll throw herself on the floor and make a "phh" sound, and screech a few times after..this happens if she doesn't get her way, or if she's mad..she also has fits very easily...we're constantly struggling with discipline...by that I mean, something works for about a month and then stops working...we're having sleep issues too...shes scared to death of her room at night, no reason for it either..yes, we are very consistent in disciplining her, but everything stops working shortly after. What do you ladies think? I really don't know what to do or think.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• she's acting like a normal 2 year old!! i dont see where she's add..
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 9:59 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• This is NOT ADD. This is a toddler.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 10:01 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• she's not add... you know what? your husband sounds controlling liek mine was. men have no clue as to how childrendevelop, no instincts!!! kids are not dogs. they are free spirits tryign to conform to this big confusing world of adults and no reasons they can understand. listen: START keepign the SAME routine every nite: bath, special pj's, soft music, special nightlight (cute or cool), special choice of shoret books you READ to her, and a glass or sip of water or warm milk (emits sleepy enzymes my moms a nurse). And you do this and tell her adults stay up later and tots sleep first period! also let he buy a NEW special stuffed animal or doll that will be SLEEPY doll or cat or whatever, JUSt for bedtime. then she wont HATE her room. also, be FIRM with her but dont do power plays or overreact when she tries to cause a stir by her innocent testing... tell your husband youll handle it and he need spatience. watch him. love her!GL
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 10:04 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• That is normal. These are tough years for a child... hence why people call them the terrible twos. My opinion, you cant tell if a child is ADD at that age. In fact, I think that until a child starts having alot of issues concentrating on learning and becomes behind I wouldn't even consider the thought. Children have problems with concentrating because everything in the world is new. Children have issues with sitting still at dinner because most end up going thru stages where they are picky eaters or they just don't want to sit still. Too many people jump to the conclusion of ADD because it is easier. Best thing to do is just keep with a certain plan of discipline and keep to whatever rules you may have. It takes alot of time to build a routine with a child and there will be bumps in the road where she will not listen to test you. As long as you stick with it, in the end it will work out.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 10:13 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I am going through litterally everything you just said and my daughter is 25 months and my hubby thinks she add too... Well I grew up with add kids, my sister, and 5 add cousins and I can reassure you shes normal and 2. They call it terrible 2's for a reason and I think we all found out why : ) sometimes men dont understand
    Tuesday503

Answer by Tuesday503 at 10:28 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• go with your gut she is 2!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:06 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• get a second, or third opinion.
    sandrizzle

Answer by sandrizzle at 11:44 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Sounds like a typical toddler.
    mamakenzi

Answer by mamakenzi at 1:40 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Sounds like every other toddler I met. DH doesn't think DS is ADD persay, but he'll constantly ask me, "why is he acting like this?" and I'll always answer, "because he's 2 & I'm pretty sure if we asked your mom how you were when you were 2, she would describe the same thing!" They just don't get it. Tell DH to stop trying to label her already...geez!
    MamaBloom777

Answer by MamaBloom777 at 11:05 AM on Oct. 14, 2010