Your 4 yr old son is asking for a baby doll for Christmas

I asked him why he wanted a baby doll. He said so he could be a good daddy to his baby. He wants to feed it, read it books, take it to the zoo, etc... and do all the things that his daddy does with him. How would you deal with other family members making comments about him having a doll? Would you make him keep it at home? I'm also concerned about him talking about it at school. While we don't assign gender to toys, we know most other people do. Would you get him the baby doll and how would you handle other people's comments?

karamille

Asked by karamille at 10:05 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• American Girl has the Bitty twins dolls that are age appropriate. They have little boy dolls that come in many different colors and looks. I found one that looks like my litle man.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:06 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I love it! He sounds like a very sweet little boy! If anyone makes negative comments, realize they are idiots and don't let it bother you.How lucky you are to have him---some day he WILL be a good daddy and I bet a wonderful husband!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:08 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I would get him the doll and wouldn't really care about what other people had to say. I think it's a great way to teach your son to grow to be a nurturing person. I would probably make him keep it home from school, just for the sake of other young kids and their words, but just explain to him that we keep toys at home just so they don't get lost/broken, etc.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 10:09 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I've bought my son a doll but he was a little younger. No biggie. I'd let him carry it, love it, treat it like it's his most favorite toy in the world. Eventually he moved on to Transformers. It's just a doll. No different than a girl who wants a bunch of matchbox cars or to play with construction equipment. Kids like to role play at that age. It sounds like you have a very nurturing little boy.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:09 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Just get him the baby doll. It really isn't that big of a deal. My DD is getting Handy Manny tools for Christmas, a John Deere tractor and wagon, and firetruck which would all be considered "boy" toys. I just don't care because I know she will love them, probably more than the "girl" toys she will be getting as well.

Shaynas_Mommy

Answer by Shaynas_Mommy at 10:10 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• thats AWESOME!!! hey my son wanted a tea set or food set so he could sit with his stuffed animals on the floor under a tent and camp out--- so I went and got him one. and he is totally well rounded and boyish and active and fun and "normal". even a social worker said that is SO good and social for me to have done that! he is being social, and caring. also he is asian and she said tea is really big there so that is good. SO do it!!! they have little dapper-dan dolls with which kids can learn to lace up their shoes or snaps on clothes and they are in shapes of boys. for gods sake of course dont get a frilly pink thing... but you COULD get him a real baby that doesnt look girlish, the kind that look liek a newborn, sort of rubbery!!! i thinkthis is freakign awesome and he himself will feel liek my son did--totally comfortable TALKING to you about his interests as he grows up!@!! help guide him! he may be a pediatrician! godbless
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 10:11 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• My son found my old baby doll. For a little while he carried it around. I bought him a little baby carseat for it, but he got tired of carrying the carseat around because it was heavy. LOL The only 2 who had a problem with it were his dad and grandpa (his dad's dad). I told them both that he was MY son and I will raise him as I want and I see nothing wrong with him learning how to be a good dad just as girls learn how to be a good mom. I also bought him a kitchen set for Xmas last year. Should have heard the fit his dad threw! LOL (BTW..I am not living with his father so his dad has absolutely NO say in what I allow in my house. )
    TiredbutHappy1

Answer by TiredbutHappy1 at 10:11 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• My DS, now 11, went through a time when he had a little boy baby doll. He had a great time taking care of his baby. I never let others comments get to me and always replied that he's going to be a great daddy. We did keep his baby at home, but it was the same with any of his lovies, no school or stores. As for family they knew he was a normal rough-n-tumble kid, but he's also VERY smart, and I made it clear no teasing would be allowed. When we finally had another baby, when he was 81/2, he was a great help... He even changed diapers. So, get your son a baby and embrace that he's a loving, smart child.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 10:13 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• My son had a baby Dyl doll. I got it for him on purpose, he never asked for it. Boys NEED to have things like that to learn empathy and to be a daddy. That's what's wrong with some guys now...no one ever allowed them to play with dolls.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:31 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• my nephew wanted a baby doll and a doll house for Christmas so thats exactly what he got...he also wanted transformers and ironman and batman stuff...lol...get him the baby doll and dont worry about what others think or say...you have to support your child no matter what and if you accidentally give him some sort of complex about it now, it may come back to bite you in the a**. and i dont know if you are planning to have more kids or not but the baby doll was a big help with my nephew when i got pregnant...he took the doll to a "big, brothers, big sisters" class at the hospital and he changed its diaper, changed its clothes etc...and then once my baby was here he was a little more familiar with how to hold her and the kind of care she required. and once you see how much he loves his doll, you wont regret getting it for him : )
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 10:36 PM on Oct. 13, 2010