If you were a mom who............

has a son that is 23 that has been sick on and off since he was 12 that has no real friends, no girlfriend is too shy to talk to girls, no job, ? I don't know how to help him other then getting him the right doctors. When my husband and I go out we take him along most of the time. Other wise he don't really get out! I worry so much about him.

Darla47

Asked by Darla47 at 10:40 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• perhaps help him in finding a job that is right for him...or would he life to/able to go to school to study a subject he likes? If he isn't feeling well that he probably doesn't have a lot of energy to go out and find friends and everything.

I know that me personally, I have psoriatic arthritis, myofacial pain syndrome and Fibromyalgia(nothing compared to your sons illnesses) and I just don't have the energy and drive to go and make new friends, plus I have always been introverted which makes it even more difficult. Though I have met a few people from school so thats one reason i would suggest school, plus it will help him be able to work in a field that he actually enjoys.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:56 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• begin to introduce hi to some church groups or youth hiking or adventure groups. get him into some online hobbt=y groups that meet in nearby towns. let him begin to apply for jobs... if youhave to drive him around fo rit, do it. he may have depression undiagnosed. he may need an antidepressant. depression can cause antisocial behavior you are calling shy. dont make him feel inadequate though. begin to NOT tak ehim along with you guys when you go somewhere. call cousins ro relatives to see if they can introduce him to other guys or girls, or groups they are in. or ask friends dont be embarrased. get him to get job and join like a n=museum group or even be a youth group leader for teens at church. get him into photography. send him on errands fo ryou if he drives. get him involved in life... a life of his own.
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 10:45 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• He needs LOTS of encouragement.... on being himself as a MAN.... & how he AS HIMSELF is SPECIAL and HEALTHY, and BELIEVING that there is a WOMAN waiting for him when he LEAST expects it.... Just encourage him to live life because its short and precious..... and believe in whatever he dreams and hopes for....
    Miss_Angela

Answer by Miss_Angela at 11:02 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• He has had three brain hemorages and hydrosphisis has had 18 brain surgeries and then three more due to U.C.
    Darla47

Comment by Darla47 (original poster) at 10:49 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Yes we are trying to get him on the right road so he can have a life of his own!
    Darla47

Comment by Darla47 (original poster) at 10:51 PM on Oct. 13, 2010