I am new to this area and I'm almost 3 months pregnant. I really need help finding a good obgyn. This is my first baby and I am really nervous about not having a doctor that I like or can trust. I am thinking of giving birth at the Riverview medical center in Red Bank. Does anyone have any helpful advice for me, referrals for good obgyns, etc?

Mama-rama

Asked by Mama-rama at 3:12 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I had Dr Chai at the womens health center near Arnot Ogden as my doctor. I liked her as a doctor. She is strictly business, not happy la la la all the time. She is a wonderful doctor and I plan on having her for my next pregnancy as well. She is on call 24/7 and schedules her time off, vac etc around her patients. I believe I was told that in all her years as a dr, she only missed a couple delivery's because they were early. So she is my reccomendation!
    Anonymous

• apply for medicad
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 3:45 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I was unsure too of who to see when I was TTC my first child. i asked another one of my doctors who he recommended, he told me who delievered thier child. So ask someone you trust, I'd still run a background check on them just to settme my nerves. Good luck on finding a OB soon!
    njpmom06

Answer by njpmom06 at 4:04 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• if you have your hospital picked out then finding the dr will be easier (cause some Drs only deliver at sertain hospitals)
    so that will be question # one ...
    Step #1 ;; If you havent gone on the hospital tour i would suggest you do so you are sure you are setting down the right criteria for your Obgyn.
    step #2 :: If you have insurance call and get a list of Obgyns that your insurance covers
    step # 3:: call all those drs and see which deliver at your hospital
    step #4:: of the ones that do take your insurance set up a consultation to talk to the dr(s) at that office so you can find one you are comfortable with

vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 4:37 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• with my first baby - i was living where one of my sisters delivered and i used her Obgyn (best decision ever) he was a great dr and i didnt have to "find" him.
    if your friends, relatives, general dr, neighbors, coworkers have anyone that they suggest go meet with them (once you are sure to cover Step #2 and #3 with them b4 you waste your time)
    referals are a great source of comfort
    i know with baby #2 i was just ofhandedly talking to one of the ladies at my daughters daycare and when i mentioned which Obgyn i chose she was like "OMG - try soandso instead" so i got the hint that i picked someone she had heard bad news about...
    vakatia