water breaking?

For my 1st pregnancy I was induced at 38 weeks. this pregnancy has been a possible pre term from very early on.. i want to hear some experiences.. what does it feel like when your water breaks? what should i look for.. is it uncomfortable? what are the signs of it.. will i know for sure that my water broke? what can i do after it does.. what not to do.. when to go to hospital?? I am 32 weeks today.. and hopefully last another 2-4 weeks.. but in case that doesnt happen ..

Ross2010

Asked by Ross2010 at 10:53 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• With all three of mine I felt a pop first and just a little wetness. The first one I was at the hospital and the last two I was at home. All three times I was able to get to the bathroom before a big gush. Some people just have a big gush, others just have a constant little trickle. However it happens, you will know. I would say if it breaks early, go to the hospital right away. If you are on time, around your due date, you can wait a little until the contractions are closer together. Ask your doctor what they would like you to do.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 11:01 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• after the first 'gush' (if there is one or if you think it did break) put a pad on and lay down for 30 mins. stand up and if your pad is or gets soaked then its your water, it never stops leaking until after you deliver. GL!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:59 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I felt a pop and then a HUGE gush it soaked through my pants and hit the floor. It was a huge puddle I had to clean up and I was alone and the water gushed all the way to the bathroom. I then put a towel between my legs and went to the hospital. I had her an hour later. My contractions didn't start until after my water broke.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:00 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I hope you carry your baby to full term
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 11:00 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• mine was very light. it was just enough liquid to dampen the outside of my shorts by the time we got home (we were on our way to the car after eating dinner out)...about a 10 minute drive. even tho mine was a slow trickle i knew it was my water breaking...you just know! i called my dr and was told to come in that night but didnt go into labor for another 10 hours.

i hope you make it to term! if it happens just call the dr and they will tell you what to do next. good luck!!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:22 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• If your water breaks prior to 37 weeks you might water to call your care provider asap.
    If it's later on and you are healthy, fine, baby is vertex & engaged you can probably wait for labor...

Since water breaking isn't an emergency, whenever it does happen, you should be able to wear a pad (or a hand towel if you're a gusher like me) and see what happens next.

Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:41 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• It feels like you're peeing uncontrollably. Mine broke at about 5AM, and I was CONVINCED that I was just peeing. All day. I don't know how I didn't figure out that it was my water. I didn't figure it out until 7PM! I had been putting on pads and changing them at least every 30 minutes, and the fluid started to turn pink (blood from dilating). I finally sniffed it (yes, gross, I know, but it smells sweet, and nothing like urine, so I wanted to check), and sure enough, it was sweet. I started having contractions about 9PM.
    Some women have a big gush, some trickle, it's all different. Most women have contractions before their water breaks, which is ideal, because if you have a hospital birth, they generally start a 24 hour clock when your water breaks, because of the risk of infection (thanks to all those checks they like to do). If you refuse the checks, your chance of infections decreases dramatically.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:39 AM on Oct. 14, 2010