Do you think I was neglegant?

so before I was a mom, i was 20 yrs old, 3 yrs ago, me & some friends went out to the bar. One of my friends named chris was depressed & suicidal, but i didnt know that because i hadnt hung out with him in about 3 yrs (i was away at college etc). We were at a bar & he was threw up on the bar & they kicked him out, we left, we were driving home doing 60 on a highway & another kid in the car made a comment like "haha u threw up on the bar", this sent chris into a rage, he started screaming "fuck all u guys, im gonna jump out of the car" and he opened the door and was trying to jump out but his 2 best friends in the back seat grabbed him & were pulling him back in & trying to shut the door. I saw this so I immediatly stopped my car so that he couldnt jump out while i was moving. as soon as i stopped the car, he jumped out. 1 friend got out & looked for him, we called his name, we called his cell phone & texted him, he wouldnt

PURPULbutterfly

Asked by PURPULbutterfly at 11:10 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• foreseeability is the reasonable anticipation that harm or injury is likely to result from your act, did you anticipate him getting hit by a car? ordinary negligence is the failure to do what a reasonably prudent person would or would not do under the circumstances of the act or omission in question

If you can answer these quesions honestly that you intended no harm and did what you were able to do at the time, you will be fine.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:35 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• It sounds to me like another drunk a-hole who doesn't want to take responsibility for his own actions. It sounds like you did the best you could in the situation, you are not his babysitter. Shame on him
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 11:21 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Hell no. He's a grown man and keeping him in the car against his will would have been a crime. However, he left the vehicle of his own will, drunk or not, and you are not his mommy. The friends say he does this all the time... is he suing them? Is he suing himself for neglecting to answer his phone? Or for apparently being out in the street where he didn't belong? Don't worry about it - what a bunch of bullshit.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 11:15 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• idk, honestly it was his choice to get out of the car whether he was sober or not. legally, idk tho. i would suggest tlking to a lawyer. good luck
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 11:16 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• You didn't take him from the bar, he was thrown out

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:19 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• If you or his friends would have forced him back into the car he could have sued for false imprisonment or kidnapping. It looks like to me it was his fault for being stupid. You didn't make him get out and you didn't put him in the middle of the road.
    FroggyFeet

Answer by FroggyFeet at 11:23 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• If I were on the jury, I would laugh him out the court room, get him some couseling, and tell him to grow up and take responsibility for his own actions. Good luck hun!
    MomX3LJC

Answer by MomX3LJC at 11:26 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Considering he was suicidal, I don't exactly get the reason that he is suing you for negligence. You and the other two people in the car tried to pull him back in because he made an irrational decision. Obviously though, several people knew that he was suicidal, at least I'm assuming that. Is that right? It sounds like he has some mental problems and I don't see how he can actually sue you for his actions. That just doesn't make sense, I say that he is out of his mind. What does an attorney say?
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 11:39 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• You won't get a single opinion here that will give you a clue what the jury is thinking because we only get your side of the story. His version most likely is completely different from the one you've typed up. Were we to hear his and not hear a word from you, it's just as likely everyone would say it's absolutely your fault.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:51 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• answer. we waited for a while, & then his two best friends said "dont worry about it. just leave. he does this all the time, he just did this in his moms car last week. he will probably just call his mom to pick him up." so i left. about a half an hour later he got hit by a car. hes still alive but was seriously injured. hes sueing me for neglegance.
    PURPULbutterfly

Comment by PURPULbutterfly (original poster) at 11:12 PM on Oct. 13, 2010