is it safe to eat tilapia, or does it contain a lot of mercury?

Asked by reneeL86 at 11:25 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I believe tilapia is fine, if you google 'fish' and 'pregnancy' you'll get a list of good fish vs bad fish. I know shark, swordfish, fresh tuna, grouper are among the 'don't eat' group.

Answer by Nanixh at 11:26 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• It wasn't on my no-no list, I don't think. It wouldn't hurt to ask at your next appointment, but I am pretty sure it's fine.

Answer by rhianna1708 at 11:27 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Tilapia is not a bottom feeder. You have to make informed decisions. Almost anything is ok to eat in moderation.

Answer by Erin814 at 11:39 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• You're fine with Tilapia... It's Deep Sea Fish that pose the issues. And to be completely frank, if you plan to vaccinate, there is 10X the mercury in vaccines than you will ever expose your baby to by eating fish!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:40 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• It's safe. I researched it when we bought some.

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:58 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Tilapia is perfectly safe I work in a hospital and we serve our patients alot of tilapia.

Answer by Momabear455 at 9:49 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I eat. Love it. :)

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 2:10 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• love long as you eat it in moderation then i think it should be fine...check with your doc if youre unsure still!!

Answer by Ms.TM at 10:03 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• It is the larger fish like swordfish and tuna that you need to be concerned with having mercury. Actually tilapia IS a bottom feeder (someone said it wasn't) but it doesn't contain mercury so it should be fine.

Answer by Syphon at 6:18 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• It is an ok one to eat.

Answer by momoflilangel at 3:14 PM on Nov. 3, 2010