Anyone remove their mirena IUD themselves?

I know you're not supposed to, but i have seen quite a few women who have removed their mirena IUD themselves at home. My question is for any who have - or if they've had one removed by a doctor - did it hurt? I felt for my strings and tried to pull a tiny bit to see if i could, and felt it cramp a bit - i stopped pulling (i didnt pull hard or fast at all ) and its cramped a little after, like a menstral cramp. I just want to make sure that feeling is normal. Trust me, i'd rather have the doctor do it - but everyone has to charge a friggin arm and a leg just to yank this thing out of me. Thank you =)

KeikoRose

Asked by KeikoRose at 11:26 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• Oh my goodness---I wouldn't try!!!!! You might damage your cervix and cause an infection! That's crazy to do it yourself.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:28 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I would say look for a women's clinic, most of those have low cost options.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:30 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I had my OB remove mine. It took less time to pull it out then it took to put it in AND I didn't feel a thing.

I would not recomend trying this yourself. If you F it up and have to go into the doc anyways, you will feel like a total dumbass
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 11:31 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• i actually got the Paraguard its just like the mirena..and my cervix rejected it...i was in sooo much pain and i didnt know y...i went to my obgyn and they look and here the iud was falling out by itself...now that its out i havent had any pains at all...and my husband and i are tryin for a second child
    krystalmarie857

Answer by krystalmarie857 at 11:33 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I got preggo I was on the mirena and it fell out 3 weeks into the pregnancy and I thank God it did because hurricane Ike visited around that time and it took me a while to get the insurance and to get prenatal care.
    iluvmymomasboys

Answer by iluvmymomasboys at 11:35 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Yeah - i've been wanting it removed for some time now, i hate the symptoms i have with it, but i never have an extra hundred something dollars to spend on it, and i dont have health insurance. =( I just need them to tug it out! *sigh*
    KeikoRose

Comment by KeikoRose (original poster) at 11:37 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• go to a clinic they should be able to help you. or get a gold card.
    iluvmymomasboys

Answer by iluvmymomasboys at 11:40 PM on Oct. 13, 2010