Do you have a babysitter? Please read and help me understand.

I need to know what am I doing wrong, I keep clashing with the kids mom. This is the situation: A mom asked me if I would like to take and pick up her two kids from school for $250 a month, Monday through Friday, I agreed. I DO NOT get paid hourly. After taking girls to two different schools I take care of them one hour before school starts and about 2-2 1/2 hours afterwards every day. Lates time she said she would pick up her kids is 4:30pm and she knows that my kid has practice Monday and Wednesday, well she is late most of the time but what frustrates me is she never calls me or lets me know of any changes. I constantly find myself being frustrated because of her lack of communication. I have constantly told her my kid schedule and she's okay with that. I'm always finding out about changes from one of the kids and not the parents. I feel it should not be that way. If I try to converse with her about anything ----

momplus01

Asked by momplus01 at 11:37 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• cont.... she looks and acts bothered. She makes me feel like I'm wrong but does not say anything. Need your advice please.
    momplus01

Comment by momplus01 (original poster) at 11:40 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I don't understand. I am always early and if I think I will be even a minute late...I call.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:42 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• She has a car? she has a job? she has a phone? she has these girls? (or so the story is here at this site ) well, you aren't not getting paid for her lack of communication, only those things that she said? Except on practice days? 250 per month. How many months is it now, and is she paying ? Has she lacked for pay? Is she behind money on any days? If it's just a misunderstanding than just grab the 2 kids and scoop them over to practice with you. They may enjoy the time away from their mom anyways, most kids do.
    Anonymous

• You just have to assert yourself and lay out the rules for her and if she can't agree, then part ways.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 11:45 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• How do you mean she acts bothered.>? Ask..... it may just get you the answer. ( IF I need answers I always ask someone, unless I am preoccupied in trauma. )
    Anonymous

• I would stop babysitting or give her some rules to go by.
    I would charge more if I were you bc you have to drive and drop/pick up be at home til she decides to get her kids that is not right and especially her knowing you have a life too. OR...start charging 10.00 dollars for every 15 mins. GL
    I babysat for 5 yrs. and I gave it up for that very same reason some parents take advantage of you if you let them ghat is why I say you should charge more and if she don't like it she can pay an arm n a leg at the daycare. my thoughts
    You should charge 500.00 a month that's exactly 25.00 for the month the way you have it now is 250.00 a month and she is getting 2 weeks free IMO
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 11:47 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I would be frank with her... she needs to contact you about changes by noon or you quit.
    Or better yet get everything in writting. If she were at a day care they would chage a dollar for every min. she is late.
    Do you have ANYthing in writting?
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 11:48 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• wanted to give you an example; today my child had practice, it was already 4:30 and no parents yet and no call. One of the kids called home to find out when dad would be coming to pick them up and guess who answers, first it was dad and then mom got on the phone a few second later. So both parents were home already and here I was stressing because my child was going to be late for her class. So mom comes to pick her kids up about 10 minutes later and she looks upset. She did not say hello to me, she started to yell at kids and just left. To be hones with you by now I was upset and was not very friendly but I still did not lose my cool. So later this evening she calls me to tell me I won't need to take her kids to school nor pick them up and she tells me that she would try to pick up her kids by 4:15 on Wednesdays and I told her 4:30 will be okay too but after that I start getting nervous because of my daughter's class .
    momplus01

Comment by momplus01 (original poster) at 11:49 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• sorry, have to finish my sentence. ....and she proceeded to tell me she had someone else on the line and hung up on me. What was that about. When she told me she would try to pick her kids up by 4:15 on Wednesdays her tone of voice sounded almost upset. Don't know what to think. Thanks for reading.
    momplus01

Comment by momplus01 (original poster) at 11:51 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Don't these kids stay over night with you , if they are always in your care before and after school, it's been our thing here to take children overnight at times to unstress the time schedule. Can't be a better way...., and easier.
    Anonymous