Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5 Bumps

can my ex hold this against me? in court

my ex wants to try to hold it against me that I accidentally left my son in the car although my son is NOT his child..
in your opinion how far will he get.. also he has not taken anything to the courts attention but instead has taken the law into his own hands & not allowed me to see our 12 yr. old girl. DCFS has made a safety plan for me to be supervised temporarily by my mom or fiancee, but my ex doesn't like their safety plan.. he wants either his wife or himself to supervise.. trust me bad idea.. my ex has fought me for the last 10 yr on everything & has been disobeying our joint parenting agreement for years.. please no judging just answer my question or bump it.. thank you


Asked by maiahlynn at 11:38 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Relationships

Level 13 (1,143 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (13)
  • Dear you need a good lawyer to put an end to this. Like others stated above he has to have proof but what I want to know is how does he know you left the child? Was he there? Did someone else witness it and told him? Anyway, if he has not lived up to the original arrangements then you need to prove that.. This in turn will assist you especially if it was court ordered. That is contempt. as far as his wife or him being the ones to supervise the visits then you need to put it on record that there would be bias and you are uncomfortable with them even being around during your visits. Good luck

    Answer by Cheveyo1 at 12:55 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

  • Yes he can hold that against you. And he has the right to not let you see your DD. Leagaly if the court did not place a custody arangement then leagaly you can do nothing about that but take him to court about it. As far as the supervised visits i highly doubt that they will make it so that either himself or his wife would be there. As long as the court feels that the person (such as your mom) is a responsable person then there is no need for that. Pluss if you and your ex do not get along then they will have a court apointed supervisor such as someone from child services. Hope things get better and you are able to spend time with your DD.

    Answer by Shelii at 11:43 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

  • You "Forgot" your son in the car? I don't understand that. However, to answer your question the only thing you can do is state your case with all of the facts. Then make it known to the court that he is disobeying your custody agreement. The court will decide what is in the best interest. He can bring it to the courts attention that you "Forgot" your son in the car, but it is up to the court after hearing your side what is right for the children.

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:52 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

  • He may be able to use it to "prove" you are "unfit" in court, but I think he would have to have proof of this occurance for it to matter.

    Answer by Kword at 11:44 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

  • I honestly think that way too much time has passed for anyone not perfect in life to hold a thing as this as long as 10 yrs. In legal standards I feel that men in life are way too privileged to assert power in this regard. To hold someone this long for something that is even their own child for 10 yrs. on someone is over extending the power of privilege.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

  • He has to have proof. You child was not harmed,so big deal. I would not worry about it.

    Answer by AdrianaS at 12:11 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

  • Proof has to be given. Judges see the difference between real issues and over-acted or over-exaggerated ones. In fact it might make him look really vendictive and manipulating in the long run. If he brings it up wait until the judge asks you about it because he/she may not even acknowledge it and tell him it is unadmissable...remember when in court never ever speak unless spoken to by the always makes things look better for you!

    Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 12:42 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

  • Sorry hit the return button))) Continued....
    nobody can hurt your life without having a witness or at least someone to hold an account to some time, how long it was, or if you admitted it and said, which time, how long of time it was, and how long ago this was, and that it's never happened since, would at least show some accountability .....if it were even used in court that is.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

  • He can try but if he doesnt have proof it is just hear say and not alot of courts will care about that.

    Answer by LiLJeni at 3:57 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

  • How do you forgot you have a child in the car? I mean, why & for how long was he left in the car? Crazy.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Oct. 14, 2010