What is your stance on the death penalty?

I normally don't ask questions like this, because I am very non-confrontational (lol) but I am a student of Criminal Psychology and so it's in my best interest to know how people feel about it. I would just like to know your honest opinion on whether you are for/against the death penalty and why?

Please know that I am always respectful of anyone's opinion. I won't tolerate any bashing! We are all entitled to our feelings and beliefs.

aliceryannesmom

Asked by aliceryannesmom at 11:39 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Totally for it and I think they should do it more often and for more types of crimes such as child rape.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:40 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I feel because mistakes do get made, everyone should have the right to ONE Appeal to be held 12 to 18 months after the original verdict... IF however they receive the same verdict (Guilty), they should have between 30 and 45 days to get their affairs in order and make their piece... Then we should hang them or shot them... None of this 25 years on death row crap, none of this endless appeals crap... And frankly, there are a few crimes which should carry a DP that don't...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:44 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• For it
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 11:45 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• against. Minorities and poor people are so much more likely to get the death penalty. And it is expensive. And wrong, against my faith.
    Lovey1234

Answer by Lovey1234 at 11:45 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I am all for it. I think that if a crime is that bad then they should be put to death. I am with the first poster about child rape...although not just with child rape i think it should be a 3 strikes and your dead kinda thing. But that is because i wish that the bastard that raped me was dead. I also feel this way because I know that he raped at least 3 other women. And lord help the person that rapes my child.
    Anonymous

• I like the theory of it, but not the practice. It costs more to keep someone on Death Row for 20 years, allowing appeal after appeal, than it does to allow them life in prison. I agree that they should get one appeal, unless there's overwhelming evidence to deny them that right.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:46 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I understand why there is a death penlty. I understand that the victims of those on death row want to seek "justice" and see the criminal put to death. However, I see the penlty as a copout. I see it as a way for the criminal to be relieved of his punishment, of his time to sit and think about the pain he's caused. I don't see it as justice, I don't see it as an answer, and I don't see it as resolvement of what happened. I do understand the victims side to know he'll never hurt again, never commit another crime, never haunt them in reality. However, it doesn't do anything really if you think about it.

Then on the other hand .. Sure we're taking up land to bury them, but it takes a lot more land and resources to house them in prison. So it's a back and forth about whether it's right or wrong. I'm not going to say "Don't kill", but I'm not going to back it up as a justified way out either.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:50 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Thank you ladies, I really appreciate the input!! Some very valid points here. I will keep my own opinions to myself, simply in the interest of encouraging others to voice their thoughts. :)
    aliceryannesmom

Comment by aliceryannesmom (original poster) at 11:50 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• 100% torn.

I think it is horrible that someone commits murder and then we have to pay to keep the bastard alive for the rest of his/her life. How is that fair???

On the other hand I could never be the one to actually kill a prisoner.

If I had to vote one way or the other... I would probably vote FOR the death penalty.

Anonymous

• And notice I say Hang or Shoot them... I don't see any reason to spend THOUSANDS of tax dollars on lethal injections or other overly expensive methods... If these men were merciful, they wouldn't be on DR, I see no reason to waste money to give them a "merciful" death... Plus, done correctly, both a gunshot and a rope are rather quick to work...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:52 PM on Oct. 13, 2010