Typical Boy or Possible ADHD?

At my son's parent/teacher conference that they do in place of a progress report, one of the main problems he had was not paying attention to what he was doing and not being able to finish his work in the alloted time.
They're started sending his work home.
He's only in Kindergarten.

At home, he's always on the go, never sits still and very forgetful.
He sometimes walks out the door for school without his book bag. We have to repeat stuff over and over. He also stutters. That has got better in the last year though.

His teacher seemed to be hinting that he has ADHD, especially after I mentioned we have similar problems at home.

He was diagnosed a few years ago as having an adjustment disorder, and his pedi wanted to school to test him for a sensory integration disorder but they haven't said anything about it. (The pedi said we had to try the school first, then they could refer him)

Can he be tested for ADHD? he's al

mckomet

Asked by mckomet at 11:52 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• In my opinion that is to young to know if a child has ADHD. That is one of the most over diagnosed problems with kids. To me it is normal your a child that age to not want to sit still for long periods of time. As far as stuttering I had that problem as a child because i would think of what i wanted to say so much faster then i could get it out and that was what caused it...later in school that same thing of fast thinking would make me mis spell simple words like "that" because i couldnt write as fast as i was thinking. But talk to his pedi about it. I dont think schools should diagnose children with anything. they are not doctors. Just my opinion.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:57 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• When was his birthday? Is a younger kindergartener, middle of the road, or an older kindergartener? That might play a part. But... his teacher sees a lot of kids. If she feels his behviour displays ADHD tendancies, its probably fair to say that he has a shorter attention span than his peers. Our ped hasn't/won't so much "test" our son for ADHD, but its more of a series of questions about behavior. There are many behavioral modification techniques you can use to help him focus, even if he's not true ADHD
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 12:00 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• whatever it is dont do meds! there are other ways of coping with learning and behavior disabililities
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 12:07 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I had the same problem with my son in Kindergarten.And his teacher recomended to hold him back again to repeat kindergarten.So his second year in K. the school offered a class to him to kinda help guide him along.It really helped him out a lot.I believe it is just typical boy behavior plus it is also a maturity issue as well.Boys tend to mature a lot slower than girls do,that is my own opinion b/c I have a older child that is a girl then my son is the youngest.So just give you son time to mature a little and you might see a big difference.
    MommiesAngels02

Answer by MommiesAngels02 at 8:01 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My son is super easily distracted and has to be told repeatedly to stay on task. His biggest issue is talking non-stop. He even talks in his sleep. We saw a counselor when my husband was in Iraq the last time and she suggested he may have ADHD. I think he is just very expressive and a typical child.
    tonbookluvr

Answer by tonbookluvr at 8:36 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I would think that the school would be able to help you with testing or daignosing.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:39 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I agree with your pedi.
    There is nothing wrong with having the tests done. At least if there is something wrong- it's better to find out now than later. My own son has some sort of trouble with thought process but he's also very smart - If you can answer me that one then, well you know?
    Irontontiger

Answer by Irontontiger at 11:05 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• It is possible to have him tested for ADHD now. My son was tested and diagnosed when he was 6. Yes his behavior has changed a little since but it was helpful to know what was troubling him. My son still has to be reminded of things and some of it I do think has something to do with him being a boy, but it's better safe then sorry.
    AnitaB27

Answer by AnitaB27 at 12:08 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I don't see harm with having him tested
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 2:42 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Thanks.
    His bday is Jan 7th, and he is one of the older kids in his class.
    mckomet

Comment by mckomet (original poster) at 8:48 PM on Nov. 7, 2010