How do I know if my water broke? And is it painful after it breaks?

I had a big gush of warm water gush out me after I used the bathroom!! And I have no pain right now like I was having befor it happen!!

Heavenbrwneyez

Asked by Heavenbrwneyez at 12:11 AM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You will feels water coming down you legs. Labor pains can come afterward. Everyone is different. Good luck to you.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 12:12 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• YES YOUR WATER BROKE!!!! the pain you are experiencing is not from the "water itself breaking" those are contractions my dear, congratulations your baby is soon on its way. GET TO THE HOSPITAL NOW AND DON'T U DARE DRIVE YOURSELF!!!!
    Sparrow1985

Answer by Sparrow1985 at 12:15 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Some women don't notice, for others it;s very obvious~ just depends on the size of leak/tear and if it's high/low.

Generally women will start contractions after (if not already) and that does tend to become more intense (or painful). Not everyone's water breaks for a while or even at all (babies are occasionally born in the intact sac), and it doesn't always change anything, so there is nothing for certain.

There are no nerve endings in the amniotic sac itself so you wouldn't feel pain from it breaking.
    Are you contracting?
    Are you still continuing to leak?

doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:18 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• AND...you can experience your water breaking and not have any pain (contractions). My labor stalled after my water broke with my first, but nonetheless hospital NOW!
    Sparrow1985

Answer by Sparrow1985 at 12:18 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• (*Sparrow, water breaking is no emergency. Some moms won't start labor for days or weeks or more, lol.
    Sounds like you're yelling, lol. )
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:20 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I am still leaking!! And I am having alittle pain that just started going from my lower admen to my back!!
    Heavenbrwneyez

Comment by Heavenbrwneyez (original poster) at 12:20 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Your labor might be starting~

How far along are you?
    Is baby vertex/engaged?
    Does the fluid have a color/odor?
    Do you have a fever?

**Be sure to avoid anything INside the vagina (*Especially vaginal exams to check the cervix!) .
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:27 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My due date was Tuesday !! I am 40 weeks today!! And I don't have a fever and the fluid smells sweet it does not
    Smell like urine !
    Heavenbrwneyez

Comment by Heavenbrwneyez (original poster) at 12:32 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• If these pains continue, become frequent, regular, intensify then I would guess that this might be the onset of labor.
    It doesn't mean you'll deliver tomorrow or this week, necessarily.
    But you can plan to get plenty of water, rest, nourishment, and see what happens over time.
    ;-)

Best wishes!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:36 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Sounds like it broke! Get to walking (with a pad!) and wait until your contractions are closer together to start thinking about the hospital (if that is where you are planning to birth).
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:37 AM on Oct. 14, 2010