Why is my 5yo daughter starting to act out - on purpose?

I have a 5yo daughter who has been a wonderful child. Just recently she has started doing things that she knows she isn't supposed to - at home and at school. It's almost like she *wants* to get in trouble. And every time she does something wrong, she tells on herself. What is this behavior and what am I supposed to say/do? She gets plenty of attention at home and we are very positive people. I have tried to ignore it, or at least not dwell on it, but when the teacher brought it to my attention today I felt like I needed to figure out what to do at this point. Has anyone else been through this?

audreykeyes

Asked by audreykeyes at 12:25 AM on Oct. 14, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• In my experience this is boredom. My 5 yr old foster started doing the same at school, here at home, and with her homework. Its not bad yet, but I have already done some things to keep her busy...like flash cards to play with, crafts, sidewalk chalk, taking walks with us, and getting her involved with dinner prep. She is also learning about Papa's diabetes. First five yr old I have ever met that can count carbs! LOL

Listening to music with headphones helps our 5 yr old too...she LOVES music! We are thinking of letting her take up an instrument (ya, Im crazy! LOL)

Hope this helps, gl :)
    grammamamma

Answer by grammamamma at 1:40 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• A lot of kids go through phases of testing boundaries. It is pretty normal. Just stay loving and consistent.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:39 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My daughter started with tantrums not too long ago. I send her to her bed until she gets herself under control and she falls asleep, is usually tired with she is being a pain. Some 5 y/o still need naps even though K doesn't do naps anymore.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:44 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• could be boredom, or trying to get attention
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 2:41 PM on Oct. 14, 2010