Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

If I want a friend to adopt my child, but neither one of us can afford the attorney fees, what should I do?

Is there a way to get it done through the courts without paying an attorney? Is there a way to just "sign over" the child? From what I understand, there's a home study, filing fees, DHS fee, and attorney fees. The filing fee and DHS fee add up to about $1200, and that is doable. But once you add the home study and attorney fees into the equation, it adds up to a minimum of $6,000.

And no, I'm not the parent wanting to give up the child, just in case you're wondering.


Asked by corbysmom531 at 12:49 AM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Adoption

Level 16 (2,347 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • Do a POA try it out a lot of times DCF or CPC can help you with this...

    Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 12:52 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

  • No advice on what to do because I had no idea how to deal with that same situation. I was just on the other side of the boat. For you and your friend, though. Do think long and hard about this. Make absolutely sure this is what you want to do. If one of you reneges it could possibly hurt the friendship. Good luck !

    Answer by duckigrrl at 8:23 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

  • Every state is different but go to DCF I am sure they can give you advice.

    Answer by coolchic320 at 2:32 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

  • A non agency adoption usually runs 3,000-5,000 dollars. Have the person talk to an attorney.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 11:40 PM on Oct. 14, 2010