Do you think that our troops are out there fighting for our rights and freedoms...

or is it just about money and power bullshit?

circle_of_life

Asked by circle_of_life at 12:57 AM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Well first off, they are there because they choose to be and so many people seem to forget that!!!! Second, my rights and freedom were fought for a long time ago. These people that choose this lifestyle are choosing to uphold the ideals of the president and the masses of American idiots and definitely NOT MINE!! I fail to see how fighting fire with fire accomplishes anything. But this is just my opinion! I would love to see world peace one day, and I that is not such a naive hope. It could happen if the masses were more informed and schooled in the proper way.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 1:17 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I must say, you are asking for trouble with a question like this though. Just warning!!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 1:18 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I kind of wince when I hear people (like on HLN's Salute to Our Troops) say, "Oh thanks so the troops for keeping my kids safe at night and fighting for our freedom and keeping us free and safe and warm and cozy...blah blah blah." I think it's BS. I don't think anybody signed up to be in the military to keep little Johnny "safe at night." It's just not realistic. From my understanding, we're pretty free already. And it's not like there's soldiers handing outside the Smith residence w/ an AK-47 b/c Osama's creeping around in the bushes.

My friend is in the Army. She's pretty much been in Iraq since she graduated high school. She didn't join b/c she wanted to "keep this nation free." She joined to get away from her parents & to make money. And I'm pretty sure she's not the only one w/ that reason. Not to say that there aren't soldiers who do feel as though they're fighting to keep our freedom, but I think it's just their job.
    paige8608

Answer by paige8608 at 1:35 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I think there is a difference between the TROOPS and the people who pull the strings. I think the average "TOOP" is fighting for just that... It's the ones higher up that are in it for the money and power - not the little guy.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:02 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I feel somewhat offended by this question...and even more by the first 2 above posts!

Our men and women put their lives on the line and many lose them fighting for this country!! They fight to protect this nation and keep it safe!! They fight for to keep our rights and to keep our country what it is!! Granted it might not be perfect, but I wouldn't want to live anywhere else!!My husband is a FRONT LINE soldier and YES him and his brothers fight and risk THEIR lives for OUR rights and freedoms!! If it wasn't for them you wouldn't have nothing that you do today!!Next time we get attacked by some terrorists, you are going to be begging for them to go in and DEFEND us!!
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 2:58 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• american flag ribbon

JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 3:00 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I would love to see world peace one day, and I that is not such a naive hope~Truthteller

***
    This would NEVER happen! Do you think the Taliban are just going to put their guns away and play by the rules?? YEA RIGHT!! I understand that this is your opinions and thoughts but that is VERY "in a bubble kind of life" remark.
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 3:17 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• The first two posts - while indeed being naive and pretty disdainful of the very real sacrifices which ARE made by those in the military - both demonstrate how much Americans are able to take their freedoms for granted.

Fish cannot see the water in which they swim, and Americans cannot easily value the security and high level of free play which the US Constitution provides for them and which the military do consciously defend on their behalf.

Outside the military, integrity and altruism and actively committing oneself to the ideal of America might be viewed as old-fashioned or campy. But inside the military these are very real principles to live by.

Add to these principles the cultivation of concentrating on goals, hard work, enthusiastic loyalty to one's team members, etc., and you come up with amazing people coming out of military service into our general society. This will probably be the saving of our society.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 6:07 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Great post waldorf
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:32 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• The current wars have nothing to do with our freedoms and rights....

The troops are doing what they are told, as they should

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:46 AM on Oct. 14, 2010