How do you dig yourself out of depression?

I feel so empty sometimes. A lot of the time lately. I've always been a pretty upbeat, positive glass is half full kind of person. Then I had ppd after my 2nd child. I got through it. But now, I don't know what's wrong. Maybe not enough sleep, but I just feel like I can't pull out and I can't tell anyone, because THIS ISN'T ME!!!!! So please tell me, what lifts you up and gets you through each day?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Health

• One of the best things you can do is exercise. It sounds SOOO silly and cliche, but it's true. Find a way to get out for a walk by yourself - stick some headphones in your ears and just walk. Ride an exercise bike. Do some yoga in your bedroom. Anything!! I have dealt with some periods of very serious depression, and being active and setting aside time for myself were the only things that helped. Sometimes when you're feeling this way, the LAST thing you want to do is be active, but I promise promise promise it will help. Also, talking to someone is often what you DO need. The littlest thing can help. GL. :)
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 1:50 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I am going through depression too and I know it sucks. The Dr. told me even 15 mins. outside a day can help. So far I have not even managed that but I am trying. I hope you feel better, talking should help also.
    mollgirl

Answer by mollgirl at 5:45 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Depression is so common and so hard to live with. Exercise like aliceryannesmom said is the best medicine.
    meandmyshadow

Answer by meandmyshadow at 5:50 AM on Oct. 14, 2010