which one?

Ok so this will be my first time voting and I have no idea who to vote for. How bout we have some fun and you try and convince me who I should vote for, as I have not followed this election at all! I don’t know what each candidate is for or not, can you tell me one reason on why I should vote for your candidate? Make it easy for me to understand, as I really don’t know much about politics. No bashing others opinion or I will delete you. I just want to know about each candidate. thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:36 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• check out these links:
    politifact.com
    factcheck.org
    along with the webpages for each candidate.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 3:40 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Thats hard to do because most people are liberal or conservative. Even if you are an independant i have no way of knowing what your beliefs are.
    I'm a conservative and I am all for getting government out of my face. They take our hard earned money and spend it on fruit fly research and overpriced pork projects. They have just taken almost a trillion dollars to bail out banks, mortgage and insurance companies and investment brokerages. For what? To cover up the mistakes congress has made in these areas. Help for us? Nope! Some Americans still have trouble paying their bills and keeping their homes. I'm sick of government thinking I cannot take care of myself and I need their mandated programs. Now they want to turn my 401k into another mandated social security program. No more! I am voting Republican for McCain Palin.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:59 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• OP HERE!

itsmesteph11this is going to sound bad, but i don't even know who was republican until you said mccain was.  that's how much i have followed this election. to tell you the truth it kinda boring to me, that's why i having read much on it, nor do i go to the websites, cause to me its just boring.  but what you said actually gives me an idea about McCain that i didn't know in terms i can understand. thanks

Anonymous

• to the OP what issues really matter to you? Economy? War? Homeland Security? Education? Illegal Immigration? Abortion?
    Anonymous

• OP HERE i am rewriting that last message cause i messed up on it

itsmesteph11this is going to sound bad, but i don't even know who was republican until you said mccain was. that's how much i have followed this election. to tell you the truth it kinda boring to me, that's why i haven't read much on it, nor do i go to the websites, cause to me its just boring. but what you said actually gives me an idea about what McCain that i didn't know about him, and it was easy for me to understand what you were saying. Thankyou

Anonymous

• OP HERE!! Answered at 1:11 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 by: Anonymous to the OP what issues really matter to you? Economy? War? Homeland Security? Education? Illegal Immigration? Abortion? I don't really know much about the Economy, my husband is a US marine, so i would really like to have him not go over seas. I don't know what you mean by homeland security. is that like protecting the US from what happen on 9-11? education is important to me. i don't like the fact that immigrants can come over. and i am on the fence for abortion.

Anonymous

• Ok, well on issues such as the economy, both candidates plan to help out the middle class. Obama is going to discount taxes on the front end, so your return is less, McCain will discount taxes less, but your return will be more. It will basically even out. Other concerns are that Obama supports government involvement and regulation of businesses. McCain supports free enterprise and capitalism. War...well basically Obama had originally said he would pull us out of Iraq, right away, now he plans to pull us out slower but on a set time table, and plans to put the forces into Afghanistan. McCain plans to continue slowly turning Iraq back over to the citizens, but not on a set time table so as to not disclose our plans to our enemies. cont...
    Anonymous

• He also wants to increase forces in Afghanistan, since the surge in Iraq worked, he wants to do something similar in Afghanistan. Homeland security is basically keeping us safe here in the US.Many fear that if we pull out of Iraq too quickly or on a set schedule then we will leave portions of Iraq unstable. These unstable areas will cause terrorist cells to grow, and we face an increased risk of attack on our home turf. Now for education. We currently spend the 3rd most in the world on education, and yet we have some of the worst test scores. Obama plans to put more money into our education system. He also supports teacher unions. McCain supports a plan for vouchers, so that parents can use the money alloted for their child to send them to the school of their choice, whether it be private or public. cont...
    Anonymous

• This will force schools to be competitive with each other in order to keep students and the idea with this competition is to improve teaching and schools and therefore test scores. Obama is more willing to allow current illegals to find an easier path to citizenship, while McCain would keep it difficult and try to prevent more illegal immigrants from coming into the country. As for abortion...Obama supports Roe V Wade and abortion. There is some talk that he even supports late term abortion, but that was due to two votes in the IL state senate where he voted against the born alive act. He said because there was already legislation in place to protect infants born alive due to botched abortions. McCain supports Roe V Wade being overturned because he feels it is unconstitutional. cont...
    Anonymous

• He wants the states to be able to vote on how they feel about abortion rather than the supreme court making the decision for them. He feels that allowing the states to make this decision better supports the Constitution than having the supreme court decide.
    Now one more thing you may want to consider since you are a military wife. The current Democrats in power (Pelosi, Reid, Frank, ect from Congress and Senate) are trying to push through another bailout/stimulus package. In that package there is a cut to military spending by 25%.That is a HUGE chunk of an already tight budget. If this gets pushed through then soldiers could expect to suffer pay cuts as well as be given less than quality equipment. Essentially further risking our military's lives. cont...
    Anonymous