Wal-Mart: To Shop or Not To Shop?

Personally, I have always loved Wal-Mart, well the cheap prices and "1stop shop" aspect of it.

I just watched "Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price" (If you have Netflix you can watch it instant)

.....OMG SMFH @ Wal-Mart!!
I always wondering why people where so anti- this store and always figured just because they don't pay their workers enough..(but who really does), but I had NO IDEA it was such a HORRIBLE corporation!! I am seriously considering telling my husband I NEVER want to shop there again!!
I HIGHLY recommend people WATCH THIS DOCUMENTARY!!

To the ladies that love Wal-Mart just as much as I did (LOL), have you seen this?!!? Your thoughts, opinions??!?!

JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Asked by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 2:40 AM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• i haven't seen it... kind of don't want to. walmart is too convenient for me. the only other place i have nearby is kmart and their prices are double what they are at walmart! i also can't get a lot of groceries at kmart so i would have to make a 2nd trip another 5 mins away to tops. it wouldn't be worth it. besides that, it'd take a lot more than just me not shopping there to change anything. yeah i spend a lot of money there, but they really could care less if i stopped. so it wouldn't really do anyone any good.
    momma_gig

Answer by momma_gig at 2:49 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I agree with PP
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 3:05 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Lol, well you could very well choose to keep shopping there, it will be hard to convience my husband to stop for the same reasons as you mention. It's just mind blowing! I really suggest you watch it regardless if you continue to shop there or not...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Comment by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 (original poster) at 3:09 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I haven't watched the video and probably don't need to because I know far too well what kind of company they are. I worked there (resigned voluntarily) and dh did as well. They are only concerned about $$$$ and it trul shows in their stores. More and more they look like trash. And word to the wise, you CAN get prices even cheaper than Walmart by doing a little coupon clipping. looking at sale ads and having some common sense.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:11 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I am going to have to rent it. I have shopped there for convenience, but I get uncomfortable because I know that they are not a good company since Sam died.

LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 3:32 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• That "documentary" exaggerates and misrepresents a lot. Their business practices are no more heinous than the majority of other national chains. If you are "boycotting" WM by driving an extra 200 feet to turn into Target or Meijer instead you're wasting your time. WRT to the labor issues - my uncle has been there full time for almost 20 years. He started part time as a 2nd job, and when his "real" job went under he bumped up to full time. He has benefits, he has a very decent wage that reflects his years of service. A lot of the whining about WM is people wanting everything after working for 6 weeks or from unions who want a cut of their profits.

That said, I still don't shop there. If you're actually concerned about how much money you're spending, WM really isn't the cheapest of those 3 in most cases, and on the few items where it might be, everything else is marked up enough to offset it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:10 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Not a Wal-Mart fan here, but I do love Target!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 4:25 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• The thousands of REAL lawsuits speak for themselves. Nothing exaggerated about it. They have a track record of years of not paying people properly in all shapes and forms and not promoting women or paying them fairly. I worked there, I saw if firsthand.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:39 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I've seen parts of this documentary. I don't shop at Walmart for many of the reasons stated above, but also because the quality of the material sold is typically crap (e.g., the clothing falls apart) and the store near me is usually croweded with people I don't like to be around (poorly dressed and/or not clean, smacking their kids, screaming at their kids, arguing with store personnel, check-out takes forever because many peope pay with unusual methods, people just generally being rude - including the store personnel). No thanks - I'll take my business elsewhere.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 6:28 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:35 AM on Oct. 14, 2010