When is a child said to be overweight?

My 3 yr and5 mo is getting chubby. He is 101cm all and weighs around 21kg. All say that he is chubby and that he should be put on a diet. He does like chocolate and asks for it 2 or 3 times a day. I give it to him because he is young and needs the energy, is that wrong to do? How many sweets snacks can he have per day? I would love to know what I should feed him for breakfast, lunch and dinner, along with the snacks.

andrea770

Asked by andrea770 at 2:51 AM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think giving chocolate even once a day is too much, but 3 times is WAY too much. Sugary sweets do not give energy, give him fruit instead. It is very good for him, tastes sweet, and gives him real energy. He needs calories from veggies, carbs, and protien, not sugar. My children will have one indulgant thing a day, usually a pop tart or granola bar or chocolate milk. They eat oatmeal and porridge, spaghetti and meatballs, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, yogurt (kids love this it is sweet), and fruit. Veggies are harder because the don't taste very good, but green beans and corn usually work, and sometimes carrots. You ahve really got to start feeding him good things now, or he will be obese in his life. I was a chunky child, (still am...lol) and I didn't want that for my kids, so I started feeding them healthy things from the beginning. Remember, a child will not starve himself. When he gets truly hungry, he will eat.
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 7:59 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Chocolate should be given only as a rare treat. Sugary treats only give very short term energy bursts, he will get steadier long lasting energy from nutritious foods - fruits and veggies. My kids get fruit for a "sweet snack" instead of candy - my 2 year old thinks raisins ARE candy. For breakfast, my little one loves scrambled eggs or pancakes (no syrup, but occasionally some "all fruit" spread), for lunch he usually will eat 1/2 sandwich on whole wheat bread (turkey or peanut butter most often) with a veggie (steamed carrots and broccoli are favorites) and a small yogurt if he is still hungry, for supper he eats whatever we are having. For snacks, he eats whatever fruit is in season (right now grapes and apples are his choice), crackers and cheese, dry cereal, etc. Lately he has been enjoying carrots and cucumbers dipped in ranch with me - he likes to dip.

Answer by missanc at 9:51 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Chocolate 3 times a day?  That's a little indulgent and not teaching him anything good.  My kids get chocolate a few times a year (at holidays).  Junk food snacks are treated as "treats".  They get them once in awhile (that includes cookies, ice cream, chips, soda, candy, etc).  "Snacks" are fresh fruit and veggies, crackers and cheese, yogurt, etc.  They used to get 2 of those a day, no more.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:17 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• First of all, cut out that chocolate! One piece one a week is more than enough! There is much more energy in eating fruit. You'll also be developing healthy eating habits that will hopefully carry him through his life. I wok with many mom's who ask similar questions! When changing his diet and reducing the amount of candy, be aware that you will probably be producing some anger and possibly tantrums. After all, he's used to getting the candy and not you're changing it! You need to ignore tantrums and know that they will stop.
    Other than unhealthy eating, my bigger concern is self esteem. Children who are overweight get teased and don't feel good about themselves. The more they are teased, the more they want to eat. Vivicous cycle! You need to realize how much the unhealthy diet he has now will affect his childhood and the way that he feels about himself for his whole life.
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 11:35 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Growing kids shouldn't be put on a "diet". Reduce the chocolate (as others have suggested) and focus on healthy foods. SInce kids are still growing, they can "grow into" their current weight by getting taller and naturally slimming down. Add additional outdoor time as well. Doing fun things without making it into "exercise"
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 8:30 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• he doesn't need sweets for energy. Energy comes from a balanced diet and enough sleep and exercise.

Breakfasts should be a big part of his meal. I typically serve my DD a fruit with her breakfast. If I make her eggs, I make scrambled eggs with toast and apple slices. If I make her cereal, she gets a banana with it. For lunches I give her fruit again, mostly grapes because she LOVES them, lol, then a sandwich with something warm, like soup or speghetti o's, or something like that. For dinner it's whatever we are having plus I make sure she has a side veggie. If she's good I'll give her a dessert. But just one which could be pudding, pie, jello, or maybe a piece of chocolate.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:55 PM on Oct. 15, 2010