b-day gift for a girl turning 6?

I'm on a budget and don't know what to get my friend's dd for her b-day. My friend said to just ce and have fun and not to worry about a gift, but there's no way I am coming empty-handed because I think that is rude. I'm not sure what her dd is interested in, as I do not have a dd that age and I have never met her. Her mom and I just reconnected through Facebook, we were good friends in high school. I want something that will be definitely well-liked, isn't expensive and doesn't come across as cheap-help!!!!!!! What do 6 year old girls like these days??? Also, I don't want to get her something she already has.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:03 AM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Shopping

• My niece is 6 and she loves those Fancy Nancy books.... theres a bunch of different kids, she loves all of them, its actually really cute, has a lot of glitter and stuff that catches their attention... and its actually educational, teaching them about vocabulary words, using fancy words, their cute! you can get it at Walmart or Target for less than 10 bucks, and just write a nice little message inside wishing her happy birthday and hoping she enjoys the book! good luck!
    KamilahsLuv

Answer by KamilahsLuv at 4:24 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Books are always a good idea. Fancy Nancy, Pinkalicious are some that come to mind. You could also do a gift card to a toy store, movie ticket gift certificates,
    Kainalu55

Answer by Kainalu55 at 5:16 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• My friends daughter is 6 and loves the Littlest Pet Shop toys. They're not expensive at all.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 5:59 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Hair stuff from the dollar store in a nice storage piece or box from there also - tie up with a nice bow (or even one of the hair ties) and it makes a great gift for a little girl for not much money at all. I do the same thing for baby shower gifts - I try to spend between $10 and $20 (depending on how well I know the person) and you can really make a nice gift with all the little necessities that people don't think about (bottle brushes, nail trimmers, stuff like that). Can be a lot of fun to put together too - have fun with the birthday gift !!!
    JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 10:54 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• coloring books with crayons or some books
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 12:08 PM on Oct. 24, 2010