Does this bother you?

Obama has made it clear he would allow the millions of illegals to stay in America and recieve the benefits that should be reserved for our citizens. He voted against the fence. He will alow them to receive drivers licenses, free medical care and discounts for colleges among other benefits. While McCain did vote for the immigration bill he also listened to Americans realizing they were not for it in it's present form. He voted for building a fence first and working on another bill.
This is not an issue talked about during the campaign but does it have an effect on who you are voting for or have you forgotten about this issue?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 3:39 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• nope thats one reason why I vote McCain.
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 3:41 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• ITS NOT AN ISSUE AS I RECALL EVERYONES FAMILY WAS ILLEGAL AT SOME POINT THE LAND THAT WE LIVED ON BELONGED TO NATIVE AMERICANS AND IT WAS TAKEN FROM THEM I BELIEVE THEY CALL IT A FREE COUNTRY FOR A REASON AND JUST LIKE YOU AND I OTHER PEOPLE DESERVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE THEIR LIVES BETTER
    Anonymous

• I think that if either candidate promised to get rid of the illegals, they would win by a land slide.
    Anonymous

• Anon, not everyone's family was illegal. When the first settlers came there were no laws against them being in this country, therefore not illegal. Now, we are an established country, with laws. There are many people who are enjoying the freedoms and benefits of our great land without having to shoulder any of the burden of keeping it running. This is not fair. If you want to live in this country, then you better darn well do it legally.
    Anonymous

• Being a person that's VERY close to a vast number of illegal immigrants...I think it should be easier to become a citizen. It's VERY expensive and very difficult in order to do so. I don't agree with immigrants that exploit the system and don't pay taxes...thankfully, the people I know do and most of them speak English or are trying very hard to learn. I'm smart enough to know that a "mass deportation" wouldn't work, neither would a "fence" around the border. I don't think every immigrant should be granted amnesty, either...there are a lot of undesirable, bad people in this country that are only here to abuse the system. But for every one of them, there are probably fifty kind, good people that would absolutely become citizens if they had the means and the funds to do so. I'm talking THOUSANDS of dollars, here. It's not cheap and it takes years. People don't understand this and it makes me sad.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:48 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Thats why I'm voting for McCain
    barrettboys

Answer by barrettboys at 3:50 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/820/ http://www.barackobama.com/pdf/issues/ImmigrationFactSheet.pdf

"Barack Obama supports a system that allows undocumented immigrants who are in good standing to pay a fine, learn English, not violate the law, and go to the back of the line for the opportunity to become citizens."

heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 3:55 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• "Barack Obama supports a system that allows undocumented immigrants who are in good standing to pay a fine, learn English, not violate the law, and go to the back of the line for the opportunity to become citizens."

In good standing? There is no such thing as an Illegal immigrant in good standing. We have laws and it is against the law to illegally come into America. Anyway, hows he gonna do that? If they can be here now and hide then they are not going to pay a fine and learn English. Obama is not going to send them to the back of the line.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:06 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• the reason its not an issue is because the candidates are actually pretty close on this issue so there isn't a major distinction. You say McCain changed after listening to voters but the only evidence of that is found in stump speeches from the primary. Neither candidate has a strong anti immigration position. Keep in mind that Obama is for ID for illegals as a means to assist law enforcement and has stated that it is in response to studies that have shown that it would help to police the streets of large cities.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 4:08 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• i'm sorry but i don't understand why you would want to deport people instead of welcoming them into our country and allowing them to be citizens. they're already here! instead let's focus our money and energy on making it harder for people to enter our country illegally.
    perhaps i don't understand this because both of my parents came from parents who immigrated to america.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 4:13 PM on Oct. 27, 2008