breastfeeding questions

Hi I just had my baby Sunday and she is a natural at feeding latches herself correctly and feeds every 3 hrs anywhere from 10 to 30 mins sometimes 45 depending I was wondering bc I pumped is half in ounce in 30 mins normal? Or good enough for her.? Also I know hormones are involvved in feeding but when I do like 5 mins into I almost fall asleep and I have to fight to stay awake

Kre10

Asked by Kre10 at 3:33 AM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Falling asleep while nursing is totally normal- your body releases oxytocin, a hormone, that naturally relaxes you- this feeling will fade with time.

And please listen when I say that PUMPING IS NOT AN INDICATOR OF SUPPLY. Even some women with over-supplies can only pump 1/2 an ounce. Your body does NOT respond the same to a pump as it does to your baby.

It is VERY normal for a newborn baby to nurse VERY frequently.

The best indicator of supply is diaper count. At 4 days old, your baby should have around 4 wet diapers- Around two weeks this number should increase to 6-8 wet diapers per 24 hours.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 3:39 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Everything sounds normal! Those hormones can knock you out. The good news is, eventually, you'll be able to nurse her in your sleep! You'll find some good positions (or find yourself falling asleep in positions you had no idea you could sleep in). Plus, your body is recovering from a major workout, so it's begging for rest!
    I couldn't agree more with the PP about supply and pumping. Oxytocin not only makes you tired, but it also stimulates a milk release when your baby latches on. You don't get the same benefit when you pump, so you don't get as much. As long as she seems satisfied, is growing, and is having 6-8 wet diapers a day, she's getting plenty (her poops aren't an indication, either, because every baby is different). She may start to nurse longer, more frequently, in clusters, less frequently, all of these are normal (though not likely the last one!).
    Keep up the good work, mama!! You've made an awesome choice!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:50 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• It is totally normal to fall asleep while nursing. Don't let it freak you out.

What you pump means nothing...it is not an indicator of how much the baby is getting.

I am sure she is getting plenty. Breast is Best so I would encourage you to do all you can to continue to breastfeed. There are breastfeeding groups on here and I'd be glad to answer any questions you have.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 7:48 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• A pump can tell you ONE thing: how much you are able to pump. Everything sounds normal and fine.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:55 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Damn...they are all right and beat me to it. Just put her to breast every time she makes a peep. Don't look at clocks or how long or anything....the ONLY thing you count is wet diapers. As long as she has wet 6-8 or more diapers, then, you KNOW she is getting fed good. And don't worry when she nurses for a long time or a short time and don;t worry if she starts nursing every 15 minutes. She is still getting plenty and is having a growth spurt. It should happen around 4 weeks old. And you will worry, but, count diapers.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:11 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Lol wow why doesn't someone tell about the pump bc that's why I did it just to see and I was all bummed out after but before I saw milk in her mouth and hear her swallow she does wet and poop a ton I get along fine so I will no longer pump at all unless I really need to bc its too much work plu s it made my nipple triple in size for a short time thanks for the unanomous sp advice and as for the falling asleep I'm just worried ill drop her or ieven even caught her smothering bc my boob covered her air and that was really scareythanks again!l
    Kre10

Comment by Kre10 (original poster) at 9:02 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I would fall asleep until she weaned at 20 months when she was nursing- it was my only naptime lol. Just make sure you are in a safe place when you nurse her, and use pillows to get her safely positioned so if you do fall asleep she won't roll off your lap (that almost happened to me once during a night feed- after that we co slept) She's unlikely to smother in your breast if you do fall asleep lol- your mom instinct will wake you up :)
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 9:47 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• no need to pump. some people pump good amounts othe dont. forget pumping. feed on demand and watch diapers
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:01 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• pumps dont always work keep an eye on diapers
    Rhiannon1980

Answer by Rhiannon1980 at 2:34 PM on Oct. 14, 2010