Getting checked

Why, why, WHY do doctors and nurses think a woman needs to be checked 400 times during labor??? Unless a woman feels the urge to push, and even then, they're so unnecessary, and they so dramatically increase the risk of infection. I have two friends who in the past 2 months have had uterine infections, likely due to the fact that they had all these checks (one had at least 10, I know). It blows my mind. Why can't we let women listen to their bodies?? Why do we even check them before they're in labor? To make women feel like they're making progress? Women can be dilated for WEEKS before labor, or not at all. It just makes no sense to me. Can anyone shed some light here?

musicpisces

Asked by musicpisces at 3:43 AM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Right. Why does a woman need one even then ("urge to push")?
    Women can be dilated for more than weeks, too~~ months...
    ;- /

* * No they are one of the RISKIEST things pregnant women do, imo. * *

doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:51 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I totally agree, and it always amazes me seeing stuff like this as I'm in the UK and the guidelines on vaginal examinations during labour are once every 4hrs, also women are within their rights to refuse the examinations if they feel they want to.
    MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 5:01 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Everyone is conditioned to think a highly medical and invasive and planned birth are all normal and necessary. And that Doc is a God and is doing only the best thing ever for birth....when in fact, they don't care. They want what is best, fastest and less work and time on their part.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:08 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I do partially agree, I think they check way too often, but as far as letting women listen to their bodies... lets be realistic. a lot of women get epidurals and actually have to be told when to push, and when they are having a contraction. so, how are these ladies supposed to listen to their bodies? If you haven't had one I think you can immediately tell when it's time to push, I know i could. :)
    young-not-dumb

Answer by young-not-dumb at 11:07 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I have the same thoughts as you. My only guess is that depending on how far dialated you are, they can better tell how much farther until you deliver and if you are progressing well. Its like the first thing they do when you get to the hospital. Its how they determine if you are in labor. If you aren't then they send you home. There is a certain amount of dialation that is supposed to happen at all 3 stages of labor. You have to be a certain amount dialated for them to break your water usually and you have to have a certain number for an epidural, etc. I think they are not just checking dialation, they are also checking how far the baby has moved down and they can feel if the baby has turned around. Its very annoying I know. What gets me also is the need for stirrups(I HATE THEM) and when they try to tell you that you can't get up from the bed or that you must give birth laying down. cont.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:31 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Other annoyances are having to wear a hospital gown only(especially when its mid December and the room is freezing) and having a room full of drs, nurses, etc gawking at your vagina like its nothing private. Like they're gonna pull up a chair and eat popcorn staring at your vagina like its a new release movie. I HATE laying there naked and the thin sheet they give you is so pointless because they are constantly jerking it off. I also hate the baby monitor across the belly that weighs a ton, being constricted with it and being hooked up to an i.v. and tugging it behind you as you pee. After the birth its just as bad when you're still cramping as the uterus tries to shrink and you'd just about kill someone to get a few hours sleep and they have your baby that you saw 5 mins in the nursery for shots, bath, etc for 2+hrs. Meanwhile dh is catching up on zzz'z in a recliner and you're getting poked at still cont.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:38 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• And then here comes the parade of grandparents, coworkers, etc in that stay too long and you're way tired and sore and then comes in the lactation people, Social security office person, photographers, pediatricians, you name it. It never ever ends. They starve you and come in your room and press down on your stomach and its awful!!!! It was so horrible both times I gave birth. Just the constant poking, prodding and people wont leave and let you rest at all. With my 2nd birth I didn't even wait 12 hours and I was asking to go home!!!!! And with my first birth in order to go home I fibbed and said,"Yeah, I had a bowel movement and passed gas" after the c-sec so I could go home. Its so good to finally be home!!!!! I love being pregnant up until I have to go to the hospital, I wait until contractions are 1 min apart-no joke. And I beg to get out of the hospital when the placenta has been removed lol.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:45 AM on Oct. 14, 2010