Anyone else hear about this story in the news?

There was a story in the news about 2, maybe 3 weeks ago that I was wondering if anyone else heard about or had opinions on. I can't remember exact ages, but basically this mother had her young son (about 6 weeks old?) in bed next to her while she slept. Apparently he soiled his diaper and their 6 month old puppy smelled it and ate the diaper off the boy along with his genitals. The mother slept long enough while this was happening that there was nothing left of his privates. If a dog bit me anywhere I'd be screaming! How could she have not awakened... let alone not known their puppy was capable of this?!

Jess6700

Asked by Jess6700 at 12:34 PM on Jul. 3, 2008 in General Parenting

• this is the story your talking about FORT WAYNE, Ind. —A 1-month-old boy’s genitals were severely injured in an attack by the family puppy, police said. The infant was lying next to his sleeping mother in her bed when the 6-month-old cairn terrier-poodle mix attacked Saturday. His mother had gone to bed about 6 a.m. after returning from her job delivering newspapers, police said. She was awakened about seven hours later by her 5-year-old child who wanted help with the television remote control. She noticed her infant had been moved from his original position, his diaper was missing and he had blood on him, according to a police report. The boy was taken to St. Joseph Hospital and was moved to Lutheran Hospital to undergo surgery. The dog was euthanized.Fort Wayne police spokesman Michael Joyner said the boy is doing fine.“

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:39 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• This is horrible! I don't think I could sleep through something like that-and if you've ever heard a puppy tear into anything, they growl and bark while they do it...I don't really know what to think. It makes my heart ache for the baby...poor dear.
    queen_tut

Answer by queen_tut at 12:40 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• I did a search and I found that a puppy chewed off a baby's TOES back in December. Here's the article: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,236001,00.html There were a lot of pages about this. I did the search under "news, baby, puppy, chew"
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 12:41 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• I just read that article about the puppy chewing off the babies toes! OMG! I know the dog in the case I meantioned was put to sleep. This dog is only 6 weeks old though and couldn't have known what it was doing. The vet that said it couldn't have happened quickly is most likely right! At that age they can't have very many teeth or enough strength to do that quickly. It turns my stomach to know that the child would have been suffering for awhile while it happened. Poor baby!
    Jess6700

Answer by Jess6700 at 12:57 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• The only "story" I was able to find happen back in Nov 2007 and the baby was 4 months old.

http://www.local6.com/news/14519881/detail.html
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 1:20 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• The only thing I can think of is mommy was unconscious, maybe way under the influence? I would have awakened to the puppy even being there. Very strange!
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 2:12 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• That is the story I was talking about! My mom lives close to Ft. Wayne, IN.
    Jess6700

Answer by Jess6700 at 4:07 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• WOW... two different stories about dogs attacking baby genitals. That's horrible! The worst thing my dog has ever done is step on my son's foot! Poor kids!
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 4:33 PM on Jul. 3, 2008