Should a husband and wife have seperate checking accounts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:40 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Relationships

• Thats up to them and their marriage, my husband and I don't but we pay bills together and everything else. Every marriage is different! Our aunt and uncle have a joint account and then they each have a seperate account for just their money, it's what works for them!
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 3:43 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• My husband and I do. We have one joint account for bills and then we have our own "fun money" accounts. We get an allowance to spend as we want. This was something I stole from a college professor of mine that was happily married 40 years. I thought it was such a cool idea. This way - if my husband decides he wants to eat lunch out every day, fine - his choice, his allowance. If I choose to save my money up and buy a large purchase -- also not a problem. We both get the same amount to spent, or save, as we see fit. Plus we can do romantic things -- like treat for a date night out of "our" money... or he can order flowers from "his" money.. without any worry that he just used the electric bill to buy my gift.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 3:43 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• i would like to but right now we don't have enough money to have two separate ones. we have one joint which is my personal account before we got married and then he has his allowance account. although he hasn't used that cause we don't have enough money to put anything into so we just have joint one for now. i would. i think if you can you should.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 3:59 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• My husband and I have seperate accounts, everyone thinks it's odd but it works for us. We have our own bills that we take care of and we switch it off who pays for dinner out. We've talked about getting a joint one in addition but just haven't done so yet. I also have a friend who has been doing the same for years now. I think it's because we both lived with our guys before we married them.
    BekaRitt

Answer by BekaRitt at 3:59 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• My hubby and I do. Which I don't know why cuz I don't have a job as our baby is due soon. But I have my own which he keeps nice and full with monies. LOL. And then we have one that we're both on. I don't know why he doesn't have his own. It makes it easier to watch the transactions. My MIL and FIL have problems with their joint account cuz neither of them call to tell the other they're spending money and they'll both make LARGE purchases around the same time and screw up their account. That's their fault though, not the accounts. LOL
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 4:06 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• My husband and I have seperate checking/savings accounts and we have the monthly bills divided so that we each pay our share (we both work). I prefer it b/c we don't have to worry about remembering to tell each every time we use the debit card (I don't like to carry cash so I use it a lot :) and if I feel like making a frivilous purchase I don't feel like I have to justify it to him because I'm spending my money... (of course if I was making frivilous purchases and not paying my half of the bills that would be another story.) It may not work for everyone but it works for us :)
    MommytoGRP

Answer by MommytoGRP at 4:27 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• my husband and i do... and i stay at home with the kids... i have access to his but not him to mine.. his decision..... and i pay the bills from my account... we had a jiont account at one point but he was easily confused by where money went and would over draw cause a fight... but thats what works for us...
    reipea0807

Answer by reipea0807 at 4:27 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• We do. We've been married less than two years, and we still have debts from before the marriage that we want to pay off ourselves without involving the other. Plus, he's a truckdriver, and it helps having his own. That way, we don't constantly have to tell each other when we wrote a check or used the debit card and accidently overdraw an account. If we do it on our own account, we take care of it ourselves! Just works better that way for us.
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 4:44 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• We have always had separte accounts because with him being military it has always been easier to have a local bank for check cashing and such. We keep his account ( for 24 years) because we can call that bank and ask for a loan and get it over the phone...it just works for us.
    LiFeOVeRForTY

Answer by LiFeOVeRForTY at 5:03 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• WE have a joint account. HE is not allowed to take from it without communication. HE has his business account. I am a signer on in with a debit card. I do not take from it without communication. The accounts serves us both and our family's needs, but I am in charge on one and he the other so if there are any problems we know who is responsible.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 5:19 PM on Oct. 27, 2008