When, if ever, should boys and girls stop sharing bedrooms?

And if your choice is down to worries about sexual exploration, do you think then same sexes should stop sharing rooms at some point too?

Someone's comment has got me think about this.

PinkLentil

Asked by PinkLentil at 5:02 AM on Oct. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• There are whole families living in one-room huts in some parts of the world and those kids aren't emotionally scarred from sharing sleeping space with members of the opposite sex. Just make the sleeping arrangements make sense for your family - the kids will adjust just fine.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 6:21 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I think its a personal choice and that its going to depend greatly on the individuals. If a child is old enough to understand what parts are private then he/she should be able to follow those directions. Kids are curious about their bodies. If they happen to play dr at a young age they shouldn't be in trouble for it if no one has told them about what's allowed and not allowed. Be careful in how you word things too because if its put in words as very forbidden then the child will want to do it that much more. Also don't assume if you catch them doing something that they are bad because most of the time its something they saw on tv or saw someone else do. Don't start out accusing. Ask questions and find out why they are doing it. In a nice way or else the child will clam up. And be aware too that when a child has been sexually abused they often illustrate sexual actions on others, themselves or objects.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 5:27 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Depends on the kids and the family.  My older 3 kids were still sharing a room last year (at the time they were 9yo girl, 8yo boy and 7yo girl).  Then the oldest moved into a room with her 3yo sister and the other 2 continued to share until all 4 of them ended up in the room together as we prepared to move.  Now the girls have their own room but, honestly, I'd rather move the 7yo (who will be 8 in a few week) and my son back into the same room together.  The 3 girls do NOT get along and just fight constantly.  The other 2 get along pretty good.  But our son was beginning to ask for his own room.  He'd share again if we told him it was what worked best right now. He'll eventually be sharing with his baby brother, who is 3 months old now.  The least of my worries is they are being sexual.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:34 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Yeah my 4 year old son and 1 year old daughter share a room. And my 4 month old daughter will most likely join them when she starts sleeping though the night. I think it works in my situation because the kids are rarely in their rooms anyways, only for naps and bedtime. We spend most of our days downstairs in the family room and play room. I've often thought the ideal family home would only have 1 large bedroom for everyone to sleep and mulitple common areas for the daytime.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 6:20 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My 6 yr old son and 4 yr old daughter share a room with bunk beds. We have a 3 bedroom house, so they could have their own rooms if they wanted, but my daughter always ended up sneaking into her brother's room at night to sleep with him, so we just consolidated their rooms and turned the extra bedroom into an office. I think once the child starts expressing the desire for privacy would be the time to move them into separate rooms.
    tonbookluvr

Answer by tonbookluvr at 9:35 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• by military standars, a child age 7 cannot share with the opposite sex, and i firmly agree with it!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:44 AM on Oct. 14, 2010