Are humans naturally monogamous?

If not, then how can we get all that upset when someone (male or female) finds it hard to resist natural instincts?

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 5:38 AM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Relationships

• My personal view.

No humans by nature are not monogamous. We are conditioned through society over the ages to believe that we are **supposed** to be monogamous. Most of that conditioning/expectation stems from religious aspects/influences in society... Societies view of monogamy itself has varied through the ages. At different points & times in human history, monogamy was not expected or demanded. Societies views of monogamy will change once again. What directing those views go, is something I can not guess, all I do know is that it will change once again.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:22 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• If humans aren't part of the animal kingdom, what are we? not plants. Humans are advanced primates, hence we are part of the animal kingdom, as distasteful as that may sound, its no less true.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:36 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• no humans are not monogamous....its a natural instinct for animals and humans to reproduce. if we were we would not have all the trouble with cheating throughout the world history....
    Ladyblue38

Answer by Ladyblue38 at 10:40 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Most humans have the ability for compassion and to use a thought process. THAT is natural. If someone chooses to cheat and disregard a partners feelings, it is their choice. But since humans CAN control urges, it is a cop out if they want to blame nature when they do it.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:30 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• because its makes us feel more loved to be in a monogamous relationship, more secure. Marriage is a human creation, yes, but its a matter of willpower to maintain that bond and respect yourself and your partner. Some aren't as strong as others.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:05 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• if we were naturally monogamous like beavers or ducks, then there wouldn't be so much adultery. The sheer amount of it implies its not natural for us as a species. Also the fact that we have to force monogamous behavior thru laws and marriage views implies its not natural either or we wouldn't need those laws and rituals to "ensure" it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:26 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• nor would we have so much polygomous behaviour in so many cultures in history and around the world (Rulers would often have harems or several wives and concubines and it was totally acceptable), even some religions if it was natural, we'd find it very odd to notice other people as sexually attractive when we already have a mate. Since we are a very visually stimulated species, we obviously don't mind noticing attractive people, which implies monogamous thinking is not our natural way, its taught and ingrained into us, but not natural.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I think it's possible for it to go either way. If you want to compare us to the primates (our roots), about 18% are monogamous (humans are somewhere around 20% monogamous). (Thank you, Google search.)
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:54 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I can't relate to being "not monogamous". I am in love with one person and my instincts tell me I only want to be with that one person. I think people have lazy loose morals and no self control.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:50 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I think we are. I think alot of people would like to believe we are not, and use it as an excuse...Oh I look at , lust over, and cheat with other's because it is just human nature... I believe that when you truely find "the one", your one mate you will not want anyone else. I have absolutly no problems with it, neither does DH. I have never wanted anyone else or even thought about being with anyone else. I guess if it is not natural, we are very happy to be "not- natural".LOL
    I wouldn't have it any other way.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 7:30 AM on Oct. 14, 2010