Breeding a Poodle

What other types of dogs would you breed a Poodle with?

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 6:14 AM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Pets

• I tend to agree that there are enough puppies out there already. There is a lot to know about breeding... for instance, did you know that poodles carry genes contributing to eye issues and blindness? Any reputable breeder actually does genetic testing on their dogs to ensure they don't pass this gene along. I would love to own a standard poodle someday, and have looked into breeders in our area- every registered breeder in our area offers a genetic screen and certificate of results for their puppies. If you're not going to get that, why pay the money that would make breeding profitable? As the owner of pets that have died from genetic diseases or abnormalities, it's just too much heartbreak for owners to breed irresponsibly without full knowledge of what it entails. If you're determined to breed, I would contact a reputable breeder or kennel club for advice and guidelines first.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 1:35 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Nothing, I would adopt from a shelter. Too many unwanted dogs as is. Poodle mixes are just mutts too, don't see why people pay 1000++ dollars.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 7:56 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I agree with Shanna84--too many sweet animals are being put to death in shelters. Rescue organizations and gov't shelters are in crisis right now more than ever with so many people losing their homes and giving up their pets. They are desperate to find homes for these babies. I could not in good conscience breed a dog when so many others will be euthanized if they aren't adopted. I'm not trying to be rude, it's just something that breaks my heart and that I feel very passionately about.
    *stepping off soapbox*
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:28 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I wouldn't the only way I would breed is if your dog is AKC and has papers and you breed her with another AKC poodle that has papers. You breed for qaulity to make the line better. Is your poodle perfect and well-mannered according to breed standards? If so ok then, if not don't breed. Never breed with another breed of dog all that does is produce another mutt. And like its been said their are too many in shelters already.
    jnd951999

Answer by jnd951999 at 8:41 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I wouldn't Breed a Poodle or Any other kind of Dog- There are So Many sitting in a cage at the shelter Scared to Death that Noone will be there in time to Save them:(
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 3:01 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• another poodle!  But in all honestly I would not breed because for one thing I would be extremely pickly about where my dogs went and I would not want to add to the population.  I do not believe in this Fad. I find it ridiculous to purposely breed mutts when you can go to a shelter and find all sorts of "designer dogs" I love mutts and have several but just don't think they should come from a breeder.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:07 PM on Oct. 14, 2010