Child in Christian School

Why do parents send their children to Church, to Christian Schools, to Christian Bible Camps but don't go to Church or read the Bible themselves? Please, if you don't believe in God, pass this question up. In as much as I respect your opinion, this one isn't a debate about whether God is real or if it's nonsense. Just looking for some answers from parents who have their children in these places. Thank you. Plz keep it clean. Tks.

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 6:21 AM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I homeschool my children with a Christian Curriculum, but we have just gotten out of the habit of going to church. I just want my kids to understand that God isn't just in the church, he's in everything you do! :)
    Aingls

Answer by Aingls at 7:39 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I'll answer, even though I am not religious. Many choose private schools over public because the public schools in their area may fall short in educational standards. It is something I would consider if we didn't have a decent public school, even though I would cringe at the idea of my children having to attend the religion classes that indoctrinate the children to that particular faith.

I do send my girls to a program that is offered by a local church for families of children with special needs.  It is held once a month, and gives parents a chance to have a worry-free night out.  If another agency offered a similar program without the religious overtones, I'd take advantage of that, but in all honesty, I trust the people at this church to take good care of my girls for those four hours.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:22 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Some do it because the quality of education is better.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:49 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• By the way, OP--and I do say this with complete respect--you are asking a question about why people who don't believe in God, attend church or read the Bible would send their children to a religious school, but don't want those people to answer for themselves? It would seem that only the people who fit that description could answer the question. Perhaps what you really want is to simply keep this a civil discussion, regardless of the beliefs of those who choose to answer?

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 1:38 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I think it is because they want their children educated about religion. I went to Catholic schools and Church growing up and since then my believes have changed a little. There was a time when I doubted things and although I did not fully believe I still felt my children should learn so they would be able to make their own decisions as adults.

Also, I don't believe that just because you don't go to church or read the Bible doesn't mean you don't believe in God. When my children were young they went to Vacation Bible School and at the time we did not go to church. I think it was a great experience for them and they truly enjoyed themselves.

I guess people do what they feel is best for their families and I think it is great that they are providing their children with an education that will help them make better decisions as adults.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:04 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I sent both of my dd's to a Lutheran School... they attended Church and other activities.... I went with them, but ONLY bc
    they could not go by themselves...
    Me personally did not fit within the confines of the Christian faith, but I wanted my dd's to not only get a good education
    academically, but also in the religious faith that I was brought up in. Their choice if they choose to stay or not...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:11 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My guess is for the social aspect. I am by far NOT a christian. But we live in a small town. Most of the fun programs and stuff for kids in this town are sponsored by the churches. I allow my kids to go participate even though I don't believe. I let my kids know what my beliefs are and that they do not have to swallow everything that is being told to them there, they can go just to have fun and socialize.
    circle_of_life

Answer by circle_of_life at 8:18 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I send my son to a christian school because the public schools here are awful. Going to chapel 30 min a week and ab aka curriculum doesn't hurt him.
    gonefishin

Answer by gonefishin at 8:50 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• in my hometown, when we compared the public and private (catholic/non-denom) schools, the private held much higher standards for progressing and graduating, holds more AP courses, and simply, since they're run on donation/tuition, the parents really do help run the schools. more parental involvement means better education..or at least, better educating from the school, as opposed to state standards/local school boards, which can be political at their core.
    of course, we are church attenders, anyway. and, we still may use a private school after a few elementary years are behind him.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:17 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I send my oldest to a Catholic school because the education there far surpasses that of the school district in which we reside.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:58 AM on Oct. 14, 2010