How long does friendship last?

Can you be a friend and make it last until you're both very old, without ever having met them?

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 6:37 AM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Relationships

• Idk, It depends on the people. I have met people on line 6 years ago, & to this day I still talk with them, still call them ect ect. It just depends on the people.

I met a guy in Ireland we were pen pals for the longest time.... We don't talk much now, but once in a blue moon I'll hear from him.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 6:56 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I think you want to be friends with someone and you like talking with them then why not. I don't being a friend means you have to talk with someone every day or see them all the time. Life gets busy and it is the people you make time for that matter,

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:59 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I think you can. But, i also think that we have necessary friends that we learn lots from & sometimes they come into our lives for a purpose, and then they go on there way. Then you have friends in which there is a soul connection, those friendships usually last forever. Selfish people have much harder times keeping friends. Friendship is hard work & you have to work on it, almost like a marriage. There will be good times, there might be bad times. It depends on how you pull through that drama if you want the friendship to last. People are too quick to turn their back on others when things arent right. In order to have long lasting friends, the tough things need working out & understanding. You have to be compassionate & treat her/him just like you want to be treated too. Some people can't keep friends, like my sister. She eventually turns her back on them & wonders why THEY are so messed up (it's really her).
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:29 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I mis read the "without having met them" part. Yes, i do. My mom has had a pen pal since she was 20. They've been writing for 55 years & never met. They live in different countries, so it's hard to meet up. They love each other very much though, i hope they can meet one day.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:32 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• It is possible. Difficult, but possible.
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 8:25 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I think you can. In fact, I hope so. I've made some amazing friends online.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 9:38 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I think you can. It just depends on who your friends are and how loyal they are. I personally don't have any friends that I think I'm still going to be good friends with when I'm old and gray. And that kind of makes me sad.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 10:18 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• i don't know it's possible i guess.
    Ladyblue38

Answer by Ladyblue38 at 10:31 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• thats like asking how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop....the world may never know!
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 3:10 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I don't think it's about the amount of times you talk or the hours you spend with each other. I would go with quality before quantity. There are people I haven't spoken to in a year or two and still consider friends. We've known each other since primary school and whenever we talk, we just connect. As long as it comes from the heart.
    And what do you consider "very old"? Looking back in family history I could easily get to 80 - 95. So you do you best to keep up and live to see your hundredandforth (!) birthday. LOL
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 3:29 PM on Oct. 14, 2010