• In the Spotlight:

My son signed up on an online dating service.

Woe is me. My kid signed up with a popular online dating service. Imagine my shock when I opened up what I thought was junk mail and I see a little twenty-something hot mess with all of her stats next to the picture of my sweet kid, in his askew baseball cap and dark sunglasses. WTH??? I told my husband he had to talk to him, otherwise I am sure I am going to find alpha females sniffing around my house looking for my naive yet daring son. My husband thought it was funny, absolutely no help at all.

What is a mother to do???

cerealmom2

Asked by cerealmom2 at 6:52 AM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• well also those "girls" on there may actually be men posing behind those pictures and profiles, and for his own safety needs to be made aware of how easy it is for bad people to lie and hide on the internet. That everything he sees isn't necessarily for real.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:51 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• You need to be at least 18 to legally join those sites! I would call the company, explain the situation, and have his profile deleted/blocked!!

IMO, 14 is too young to even be concerned about DATING! At least it will be for MY BOYS, when they get to that age!! Liking girls and going out on group dates, is fine....but anything else, would be way to soon!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:06 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I guess I would talk to him about why this is not approperiate. I am not sure how old he is, although it sounds like he might feel like he is missing out on something. Has he ever had a girlfriend or not. If he is getting older and all his friends have girlfriends he might feel out of the loop or that he is missing something.

If your husband is no help then you need to talk with him, I would listen to what he has to say and try not to get to made. Kids are exposed to so much today and I said he might just be intersted in dating and figured it might work better on the internet.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:57 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Original Poster here. Thanks, he is 14 and he has a facebook presence with his fellow classmates. I think he did it as a goof, but they actually paired him up with adults.
    cerealmom2

Comment by cerealmom2 (original poster) at 7:02 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I am on it LoriKeet. You are correct, these kids think it is a game when they are playing with fire.
    cerealmom2

Comment by cerealmom2 (original poster) at 7:08 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Maybe he wanted an ego boost.

Yes, time to start blocking....they are 18 plus for a reason.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:22 AM on Oct. 14, 2010