?School?

Is it just me or do any other moms out there think that schools ask too much out of kids anymore?School is no where like you used to be when I was in there.And some wonder why they have so many kids that drop-out!?!I mean you know.... in elem. school the kids are doing work like they are in high school.Whats up with that?

MommiesAngels02

Asked by MommiesAngels02 at 8:06 AM on Oct. 14, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Just to say: by law, at 16, in many states, kids are not required to attend school past 16YO, they can take a GED and graduate in that way. Its not generally announced since most kids would stop going if they knew about that law.

Nowadays as technology has increased, we are teaching kids things earlier than we used to, but in a way its sorta necessary. Computer (for example) are going to be a part of our kid's everyday lives, unlike us, where computers were still pretty new of an idea. So teaching them early just makes more sense (in that case).
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:11 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I feel the same way, they do ask too much of them... not only do they work alot in school, they send a ton of homework home to be done (even my first grader has homework, wth?!)... that's not counting any after school activities they want to do. Kids today are spread too thin. My 9 yr old (3rd grader) is so stressed out at times he just doesn't want to go and we have to fight to get him in the car. It's crazy...

Not to mention they won't do anything when a bully comes around... I am seriously considering homeschooling.
    Gremlyn1980

Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 8:17 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• As far as homework, yes I'm totally against it. Its too much. At school all day then come home and do MORE school. I don't enforce it too much. Thats the teacher's problem and they the ones being paid and trained to educate, not me.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:46 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I totally agree, I mean it used to be you didnt start learning your abc's until kindergarden. Now it's preschool. Children get burnt out before they ever get started. I know alot of kids that are depressed and stressed out and I think schools expect too much of them. I also feel sorry for the teachers they have to get certain things done with these kids or they will get fired. My daughter makes A's and B's and her teacher wanted her tutored because she didnt score what they wanted on that Cats test. This is bullcrap!
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 9:11 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• IDK. I homeschool and the work we are doing in kidergarten, most kids do not get to untill the end of first. So I feel the opposite of the schools around here. They do not do enough. With DD, it has never been hard, or work. Learning if fun, and she loves it. The key is learning your child. What are their strenghts and weaknesses. How do they want to learn? Do games work better, or do the thrive on worksheets, or a combo of each. As parents you can help make school more enjoyable for them. But approching it with an attitude of"thats too much" or" that's to hard for them", will not help. You will only pass that attitude onto the child, making them resist school and learning too.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 9:12 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• No, I don't think schools today ask too much; I think they asked to little when I was in school.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:41 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I don't think our school is unreasonable at all, personally.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:38 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• So far we've lucked out and all the schools my kids have gone to seem to have a less is more philosophy.  They aren't trying to cram tons of stuff on the kids at an early age.  And the kids still excell because they aren't so stressed they're ready to burn out in 2nd grade.  But I've heard some horror stories from other people.  I think they expect way too much from the younger grades and not enough from the older grades.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:26 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• it is different, that's for sure!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 2:39 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Zoey- I hope you don't ONLY depend on a teacher to educate your child. The parents play a VITAL role in a child's learning too...VITAL!!!! I am a fan of HW, for I want my child to reinforce the skills taught at school, AT HOME WITH ME. I do think some give TOO MUCH, and am not a fan of that. To give a little each week is HELPFUL.

Anonymous