If I leave breastmilk for a sitter to feed my baby is it okay to leave formula too?

I'm planning on being out probably 5-6 hours and I was just wondering if I leave breastmilk should I leave formula too? I'm going to try and leave enough breastmilk but is it okay to leave formula just in case? My daughters never had formula but would it be okay to let her have it this one time? Thank you! :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:04 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• there is nothing bad about formula and its not going to hurt her.
    Anonymous

• yes :) always better to have a back up in case she's super hungry that day
    Anonymous

• When I was breastfeeding and had to go back to work I always sent a small can of formula along with my daughter to day care. It was "just in case". The center KNEW they were to defrost and give her breastmilk first and foremost but if there was not enough or she was still hungry that the formula was there as back up. Formula is not evil, it won't hurt her...and if she's never had it beofre be aware the poopy diapers are going to change drastically. Keep in mind just because she does not take to the formula immediately you're not a lost cause. Babies will eat when they're hungry.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 4:09 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I would leave formula just incase. What if she gets hungry and there's nothing to feed her? I'd rather have her drink some formula and be happy then to have her little belly aching cause she's hungry. Hopefully she'll like it and want to eat it.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 4:11 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• It's a great idea. Better to eat than to starve. My doc said there's nothing wrong with giving formula to take a little break (I was having a hard time so it gave me a couple of hours to heal).
    Anonymous

• That's what I do... so far he hasn't needed any... but I would rather have something there than nothing at all. Sometimes he can be a little piggy.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:24 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Wow...this is a tough one.

For a child that has never had formula, it's not as easy to just drink it down. Formula and breast milk have completely different tastes and not only that: you don't know what effect (if any) it might have on your daughter.

Honestly? I would add an extra pumping session and sufficient breastmilk for the sitter. Pump it but don't freeze it, that way, it's still good to use even if your daughter doesn't drink it at the sitters.

Good luck!
    ivansmom07

Answer by ivansmom07 at 4:26 PM on Oct. 27, 2008