Were dinosaurs part of God's plan?

if he didn't want them around anymore, why create a world cataclysm and create mass extinctions? Why not just snap his celestial fingers and poof them out of existence?

And why did some survive (crocodillians and others)?

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 8:18 AM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I just wonder what kinds of sins the dinosaurs committed to be obliterated from the earth. Maybe they were trying for same-sex marriage or wore mixed-fabric clothing. I'll ask Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist Church. I'm sure they'd know.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 9:44 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Maybe god made this earth & said "Hey, whatever happens, happens...my work is done. I'll send my son down if it gets REAL bad"
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:20 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Of course they were! Not all animals adapt to their surroundings and do go extinct. Dinosaurs are not the only animals to have done this. What about the mammoths and sabre-tooth tigers?

KathrynJL

Answer by KathrynJL at 9:22 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• "do you ever live life outside of the bible?"

that is actually a VERY good question, I don't see why you felt the need to post it anonymously. Shows great insight and questioning. I will actually take the plunge and answer it:
    It would be dumb of me to deny actual scientific discoveries. I would never dream to do that, seems rather stupid. Fortunately for me, I abide by a faith that has never had a problem or a contradiction with scientific FACTS. You tell me the world is hundreds of millions of years old as opposed to 6,000 y/o? I won't argue with that, a mixture of my religion and science perfectly explains that. The Talmud even says the number of stars and explains how they're accommodated in a way that's consistent with modern knowledge.
    BUT... if I found a scientific, unproved "theory" that actually clashes with my religious beliefs, I wouldn't buy into it. Thankfully, that hasn't happened so far!

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 11:12 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• "Yes It was. There is a scripture.. it goes something like this... His ways are not my ways and His thoughts not my thoughts. What HE sees in full we see in part. When sin came into the earth.. so did death. Before the fall there was no concept of death just life... in its fullness!"

That is an interesting answer--except that humans (therefore Adam and Eve) weren't around in the Age of the Dinosaurs.  In fact, I don't think it was until much later (try hundreds of millions of years later) that humankind, in whatever evolutionary state we were in, made our debut. . . so, how could the sins of man have brought about the "concept of death" to the dinosaurs?

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 1:00 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• i don't know, mil thinks they are not real, just a bunch of rocks that look the same. seriously.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:20 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• wouldn't this be a question for evolution? there are lots of 'creations' around now, that weren't in the past, and vice versa. evolution.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:58 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I believe they were intended, although I don't believe that God is sitting controlling every little thing that happens. I believe He created the world and set up the systems through which it would work (weather systems, orbit systems, the way evolution works, etc, etc) and let it go from there - kind of like the concept of the watchmaker. I do believe He gets involved from time to time, and that He chooses to have personal relationships with us, but I don't believe He was behind the extinction of the dinosaurs or that He causes natural disasters that wipe out populations.

I believe science has pretty much attempted to explain why some species didn't make it and why some did. The prehistoric predators series is really interesting, for example. Explains why the various species that have died off. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:56 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Have you ever considered that G-d does things according to what HE thinks it's best and not according to how YOU think He should do them? Maybe He had a perfectly good reason to do it that way, but just as I don't have to explain to my 4 year old why I manage my business the way I do, He doesn't have to explain to us why He does things in a particular way.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 10:00 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• mammoths and sabretooths have living cousins
    dinosaurs didn't go extinct from failure to adapt, the whole planet went thru a natural disaster and they were killed for the most part. Only a few survived the aftermath.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Oct. 14, 2010