At what age do let your daughter to shave her legs?

my daughter is 10 yr's old and she has extremly hairy legs..i never really paid much attention to her legs until recently when she was wearing a skirt...omg were they hairy..she said that from time to time the girls at school always say wow you have alot of hair..soo now she is wanting to shave them..i for the life of me cannot remember when i first started shaving ..so what is the best age to let her do this??(her hair is peachy..not dark..but very noticable)

gracelessstar21

Asked by gracelessstar21 at 9:01 AM on Oct. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• This is a tough one. I feel that women shouldn't shave their legs so that other women won't make fun of them. Changing something about yourself to avoid ridicule won't do anything for your self-esteem. Even if you think it does. If it were me, and I know it isn't....but I would talk to my daughter about it. Take the opportunity to talk about body image and how we are all made differently and how that is something special. Then I would explain how she should only change things about herself for herself and not for approval from others. If she felt like she was ready to shave then start teaching her what to do. It would make it a great mother daughter bonding experience and hopefully send the message to her that she is fine just the way she is even if she chooses to shave. I just think it is important to teach girls early on how nothing gets better by "chase the ideal". They won't ever be happy enough.
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 9:18 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My daughter just went ahead and did it. I think she was about 10 - 11. I know I did it with a friend the first time at about that age too. I figure that if your daughter mentioned the comments, then it's worth exploring with her.
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 9:05 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• 6th grade- so about 11 or 12 years old.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:06 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I fee that 10 is right, b/c they are becoming more self concious, and it really is a hygeine thing to me!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:43 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• It would depend on how much it was effecting them.  I was like 12 when I started.  Just did it on my own because I was tired of my younger brother teasing me.

My girls are 10 and 8 and have no reason to shave yet.  It's not an issue at all.  When it becomes an issue will talk about it but I know my 10yo is no where near responsible enough to deal with the upkeep once she shaves the first time.  I can't even get her to wash her hair once a week (she throws a huge tantrum, runs away and hides, won't get in the shower, etc).

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:49 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I went to school with a girl who was not allowed to shave her legs until she was 18. Her parents were very strict.

I think 10 or 11 is a good age to start.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 9:11 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Thank you..she is really interested in shaving she has brought it up to me several times..b4 the other girls said something to her..i think i was holding on to the lil girl image instead of the she's growing up one..we have had several talks about body image and when and what to expect when her time to become a lil lady comes..i am trying pre pare her as much as i know how..when i was growing up my mother never discussed these things with me i kinda had to learn from my friends..so doing these talks ect.. has really made me feel alittle more bonded with her..i think i am going to discuss the shaving with her tonight ..thanks mom's
    gracelessstar21

Comment by gracelessstar21 (original poster) at 10:51 AM on Oct. 14, 2010