I think my Dog has a fever...

I took my dog to the vet about a month ago and she got her shots and a check up. She is 14 1/2 years old and is a Chihuahua. She has been kinda tired looking, almost like she has a cold. She sleeps alot anyway and the vet said that is because she is old. Anyway, I picked her up yesterday and she was laying on my stomach and she was really hot. So, I bathed her in warm water to try and cool her off a little. She is drinking and eating, but feels really warm still. Should I be worried?

Tammydog

Asked by Tammydog at 4:28 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Pets

• is she panting a lot? if not, then she's fine.
    Anonymous

• No, not really panting. She just feels really warm.
    Tammydog

Answer by Tammydog at 4:36 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• might be because of her fur ;o)

Anonymous

• feel her ears..its like feeling our foreheads to check for a fever. also their temp is way higher naturally than ours..but you'll be able to tell if your dogs ears are hot..if youre concerned, talk to your vet.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 6:50 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Take her temp, a dog's temp is higher then ours, I think normal for a dog is around 101 or so. Take it rectally if your worried... but most likely shes fine
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 9:38 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• A dog has a body temperature between a 100 and 102 F
    If you touch your dogs nose, the back of her ears or her fur it will be warm too ...the most accurate is a temp but ..i got nervous always If your pup is like....Puking, Itching alot, Blood in the stool take her to the vet
    if changes in her behavior is worring you ...take her,
    Somtimes u can lighten their diet, and give them lots of ZzZz and it will vanish on its own,
    To me it kind of sounds like a parasite infection, id still take her,
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 9:51 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Get a thermometer, put some lubricant on the tip, and place it in her rectum. If the reading is between 100 and 101.5 she's got a normal dog temp. If it's any higher, then you need to contact your vet and see if she has an infection of some sort or something wrong with her.
    Looking2Adopt1

Answer by Looking2Adopt1 at 10:06 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Okay, Thank You All for your answers!!! She was much better when I got home from work yesterday. She ate and did not feel warm like Sunday. Also, she was running around. I guess I just get so scared because she is so old. Thanks Again Ladies!!!
    I think You are ALL Awesome!!!
    T-Dog
    Tammydog

Answer by Tammydog at 11:27 AM on Oct. 28, 2008