What is the BEST thing about being a step parent and the WORST thing?

gracelessstar21

Asked by gracelessstar21 at 9:07 AM on Oct. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think the best thing is being able to love another child, share your influences of life and be the middle the person to give advice,, i think the worst part is when the other parent, tries desperately, to have the child not like you or puts to much of there unneeded help in..

kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 9:24 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• the best thing......seeing sd when we get her.....the worst thing......sd will not eat anything other than cereal, and has to be entertained or she'll have a massive breakdown.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 9:11 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Best and worst thing are sorta the same.. your not the bio parent, are often not involved or allowed to have a voice and as such its all the responsibility of the bio parent, so you can just go do something else and let it be their issue. Which can also create resentment when the parent is protecting someone who is obviously in the wrong but won't hear of it.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:19 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Best: my step-daughter herself! She is great! Worst: dealing with the ex-wifemom! She hates me and tries to get my step-daughter to also.
    KyKosMommy

Answer by KyKosMommy at 9:24 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• im not a step parent but my husband is technically the stepfather of my oldest (although he's been in her life since she was a baby and her bio-dad never has).

i would think the best thing for him is being called daddy and genuinely loved by a little girl that he doesnt share dna with.

the worst thing is probably that he'll always have to be on a pedestal to her bio-dad if he ever decides to come back into her life. one day my daughter will have questions and probably want to meet her real dad, and my husband might feel less significant in her life when and if that happens.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:27 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I think there's a difference between step parenting from babyhood and stepparenting from pre-teen years, tho. The baby doesn't know your not the parent and has only ever known you to be there, whereas to the other your seen as an outsider invading their happy little routine lives.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:31 AM on Oct. 14, 2010