Is it a problem that my 9yr old still loves Dora?

My 9yr daughter loves Dora..she always has for as long as i can remember..but my 10 yr' old calls her a baby for still liking her..i actually think it's kind of cute she still loves things like this..but i do watch my 10 yr old daughter and see the things she enjoys and likes and they are way off...she's more into make up and moxi girls and just a lil grown up stuff..more so then my 9yr old.(who still adores basic things..dolls..ect).should i be worried that maybe my 9yr is not as mature in growth as my 10 yr old?

gracelessstar21

Asked by gracelessstar21 at 9:12 AM on Oct. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• Nothing wrong with it.  My almost 8yo still likes to watch those kind of cartoons and plays with her dollhouse and dolls.  And all 3 of my girls, including my 10yo, play with their Barbies/Bratz dolls.  The other day my 10yo and her friend, who is 11, were playing with the Barbies and I asked if they weren't a little old for them and they gave me these evil looks and said, "NO".  I was pleased.  I'd rather they enjoy their childhood a few more years before deciding fun stuff is for "babies".

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:04 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• why be worried, don't force her to grow up any faster than she wants to?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:13 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My 10 year old boy will still watch Disney Princess movies, they grow up way too fast, enjoy it while it lasts. I wouldn't worry, every child is different.
    ejkmommy

Answer by ejkmommy at 9:15 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• No. My dd is 9 and still likes her Dora curtains. lol She rarely watches the show anymore but she does not want to changer her curtains yet.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 9:13 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Not at all. My 9 year old daughter still enjoys some show that are considered "young", like Clifford the Big Red Dog on PBS. As long as your daughter is on track developmentally, I can't see why there would be any problem with liking Dora. Kids these days grow up too fast anyway!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:14 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• All kids are different. She'll grow up at her own pace.Enjoy it .they grow up too fast anyway...My20 yr. old still loves cartoons,and so does my DH...LOL
    Marinemom03

Answer by Marinemom03 at 9:17 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• It is a cute show and if she likes it I don't see what the problem is. It is kind of nice to hear of a 9yr old who wants to watch an 'innocent' show instead of some of the more adult-oriented or rude kids cartoons that are on some of the channels.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:20 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Be thankful that she's still a child and not a little adult right now. They grow up so fast. My almost 8 year old secretly still likes Dora too. She calls the shows on Nick Jr. 'baby shows' when my 5 yr old is watching them just to get him all worked up, but she'll sit down and watch them too. She still has some of her Nick Jr. toys that she isn't ready to let go of too, like Dora and Backyardigans. They watch Little Bill every single morning before school too. She can't take her eyes off of the tv even though she has seen the episondes at least 20 times.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:20 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I think it is great. My 6 year old granddaughter thinks that princesses are for "babys". She has older girls in her court and she wants to be into Miley and more trendy things. I do not want them to grow up too fast.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:25 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My 9 year old saw the Diego character this past weekend and he was just as excited as the 4 year old standing next to him. I think your daughter is fine. At 9 they really are still little.
    mpeada

Answer by mpeada at 9:26 AM on Oct. 14, 2010