Advice about baby cereal???

I would like to know other mom's inputs on baby cereal i have twin girls that are three months old and they're drinking about 6oz. at every feeding and they're still asking for more at night i started putting alittle cearal in there bottle about 1-2tbs. cause it seems they want to eat like every two hours at night and its help they sleep about six hours but now it seems like im going through the same problem during the day they wanna eat like every two hours i feel 7-8oz is too much for a three month old but giving them a 60z. bottle every two hours i feel like im over feeding them. I never had this problem with my four year old since she was breastfed so any adivce possible would be great thanks!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would go ahead and give them as much formula as they want at a feeding......plus you can probably start spoon feeding a little cereal at one of the meals...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:19 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I would start spoon feeding them cereal in the morning and night. Keep the 6 oz and when/if they start whining for more food you can try to space it out as far as you can. Try to entertain them with a bouncy seat or tummy time. When my daughter was around that age she wanted to do the same thing...but I entertained her with Baby Einstein DVD's, tummy time, or a walk around the neighborhood...which she loved. She eventually got used to the 4 hour schedule I put her on. My daughter's pediatrician told me that it's not that she necessarily wanted the milk in the bottle but the sucking motion, and sure enough a few times she whined for food and I entertained her with something else, she soon found her thumb. LOL. This is just an option that worked for me.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:28 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I don't know if they have binkies or not, but they may simply be having an urge for non-nutritive sucking. Although my son was drinking 6-8 oz when he was born, so they may simply be hungry. As long as they are putting on weight steadily it shouldn't be a problem.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 9:36 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Be prepared for the onslaught of moms ripping you a new one for the cereal... I agree with the pp though, I would start trying to spoon feed them a little bit and see how they do with it. Cereal made dd too consipated so we just skipped it.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 10:38 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• we did the cereal thing but it made my dd consipated so we stopped but if its working y not! put some in all her bottles and try spoon feeding some too. as long as they are happy and putting on weight u should be just fine!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 10:43 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• 1-2 tablespoons of cereal is too much for a bottle. I would just start spoon feeding them the cereal and see how that goes. If they just push it out of their mouths or gag, they aren't ready for it. And solids should not, and often don't, replace any part of an infant's liquid diet for the first year. How much are your twins getting total? If it's in the 24-32oz range, it's fine. They could also be having a growth spurt and the increase in formula intake and frequency in which they are eating could go back down when the growth spurt is finished.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:33 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Thanks ladies!!!! i just realized i put TBS and its TSP but again thanks =)
    momof3_navywife

Answer by momof3_navywife at 1:56 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Sounds like a gowth spurt my ds did the same thing around 3 moths he is 5 moths now and eats every 4-6 hrs
    Rhiannon1980

Answer by Rhiannon1980 at 2:28 PM on Oct. 14, 2010