What kind of toys, ect should I get them?

I'm trying to do something new to help teach my children to take care of their things. Last year they broke All of their toys in less than a month then had nothing to play with.

I found on sale, 3-drawer wide cart / storage bin
(this- http://www.walmart.com/cp/Garage-Storage/656639#dialog)

I plan to give each child their own cart to put only their stuff in. They will be responsible for their cart and making sure they put their things back into it when done. It will be something I will continue to work with them.

I'm looking for good ideas on what to put in their 3 draw - carts to get them for Christmas. The girls are 5 & 7 and my son is 12. They all have Asperger's but are verbal and very high functioning. (if that makes a difference :-) They are also hard on their toys.

Thanks for any ideas :-)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Oct. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• Storage should be there to begin with. Here are some ideas for toys , that cant easliy be broken.
    -Wooden blocks. I got dd these when she was 2 and both my kids stillplay with these and they are 5 and 7.
    -Lego-various sets
    -Dolls cradle/stroller, with cabbage patch doll or whatever kind
    -Things that can be used and then they eventualy are gone, like paints/paper, big barrle of crafts.
    -Bikes, scooter, sports balls.
    -Mini indoor trampoline. Great for rainy weather, to get out energy!
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 9:57 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• www.magnatiles.com
    I don't have these, but they're on my "wish list." My mothers have raved about these for all age children. They say they're pricey, but worth it, b/c the kids all love them.
    Good Luck!
    baskrox

Answer by baskrox at 10:07 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Good luck with that.  My kids have had individual storage areas for years (ours our shelving units with those fabric drawers).  They NEVER put their toys back in their own bins and just toss them in the closest space.  They also refuse to put books back on the shelves, they just toss them anywhere or stuff them in backwards, upside down, inside of each other, etc.  The girls also have a big under-the-bed plastic bin for their random stuff and they throw everything in there instead of in the correct bins.  My son has a huge tub for his legos and I find his other toys, stuffed animals, dirty clothes in there, etc.

I've taken stuff away when it isn't where it belongs and they don't care.  The next week they do the same thing.  They've had every single one of their toys and books taken away and it never bothered them.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:36 AM on Oct. 14, 2010