Is this a good decision?

My middle school son has a GF now. He's all excited about going to school now and even writes her little notes and lets me look at em to see if they sound alrite. Its very endearing to see him grow up a little.

I however feel he's too young for a GF, but I know if I tell him that it'll just push him away, he'll stop sharing, and just do what he wants anyways. So I held my tongue except on some really sensitive subjects (like love and sex if needed).

Here's my decision: Since I can't really control it, I'll go along with it and be supportive of it, at least in this way I can kind of monitor it and act as an advisor when needed. I don't approve of it, but as long as its still innocent, I'll keep myself in check.

Is that a wise move?

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 9:38 AM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think that's right thing to do as well. I never encouraged my boys at that age, but I was expecting. I would also ask them questions about the girl, like why they like her, what are the qualities they enjoy about her etc. I also made it a point to talk about relationships and how girls are different from boys when it comes to relationships as well, and to be very careful about their feelings.
    If it was me I'd vocalize how love is a strong word and a big deal, not that its bad but its not used lightly.
    My boys always shared with me, everything from text messages and notes. They have even bought gifts at that age to give to the girls. When it was time for them to end it they would also ask me the best way to do it. I think its a good learning experience, and for the most part its innocent and does really progress into more in my opinion if you keep talking.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 11:11 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Yes, I think your doing the right thing.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 9:41 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I think it's a very wise thing. I have two middle schoolers too and even though we think they're too young, as long as it stays innocent they're going to "go out" anyway. Not that they EVER go anywhere but that's what they call it....lol
    tinadf7

Answer by tinadf7 at 9:56 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Because he is including you in the note writing etc, it is probably not the gf bf relationship we should have to worry about.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:03 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• why is it important?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Oct. 14, 2010