Why is it acceptable for there to be award shows that only honor blacks or hispanics. But this would not be acceptable for whites or European Americans or caucasians?

I am not going ANON for this because I hope we can handle this with integrity.

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 9:53 AM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Entertainment

• I guess this is a situation where perception really is everything. The way I see it is that a good life is a product of hard work and sacrifice. Yes, some people start out in a better position than others, but there is no reason that people of any color can achieve whatever they want. Look at our current president! I didn't want to make this political, but I think that the democrat party works hard at keeping minorities of all races dependent on them. I know lots of people think they are just trying to help, but sometimes people have to learn to help themselves. I do see things with my own eyes that the white race gets the "down vote" on everything from affirmative action to certain welfare programs. People should be hired first on experience, education and ability, not on color first. Color is only skin deep.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 9:43 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I would not join a white only group or go to a private school or club that was for whites only.
    Why do blacks join black only groups?
    If a t shirt says Black Power it is alright.
    If a t shirt says White Power it is racist.
    It is racist that this is the way things are looked at.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• While I agree that blacks, latinos, whites...whatever...should all be treated fairly and equally, at what point do we decide that blacks have had enough individual recognition and when does Black ONLY stuff become unfair and wrong? That is the point

I do not personally know anyone who was a slave. I do not personally know anyone that owned slaves.

I have not been prejudice against any race, but, the fact that blacks and latinos DO have special things that exclude or include based solely on color is wrong. There are FAR better ways to assimilate into the society and become equal and for everything to start to be fair. I don't think have self inclusive clubs and programs and TV is the best way to go about it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:54 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• payback for what our anglo ancestors whom we never knew did to their ancestors that they never knew?
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:54 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• The Oscars and Emmys don't Honor Whites only...WTF?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:12 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I think it really shouldn't be an issue. I think we should be able to all treat each other as individuals and stop playing the race card for everything. We all came into the world the same way; naked. There is absolutely noting wrong with being proud of your racial background. What makes this wrong is the prejudice. Making it ok for one race, or two or ten, but it's taboo for the white race. History is history, we must learn from history, but how can we overcome our past if we allow the hostility to live on in our current day? There will always be those people who are hateful and think their race is superior, but it isn't only the white race that is like this. It isn't the current white race that is acting this way, it was ancestors and it wasn't all white people.
    I don't understand why people don't think this is an acceptable question. You know people wonder. I'm not saying I would like a function to support whites only.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 10:28 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• No, they honor all sorts and sometimes it's a white person and sometimes it isn't. The awards shows in question are geared toward and specifically "black or latino" ONLY.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:16 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I did not vote you down. I think you are entitled to feel offended by this post. I do agree that all races should be treated equally. I'm tired of special treatment for different races. It is part of the problem, not part of the solution. No, I don't think we are all treated the same, but probably for different reasons than you think we are not treated the same. Our difference in opinion is ok. I just think it's time to move forward, but we can't by dwelling on the past. That keeps racism alive in our country instead of moving towards racial equality. Some people will never change their mindset. We can't do anything about how people think and feel, but once we start treating everyone as equal, there will be less tension between the races. There has been lots of inequality in the history of this country, but that doesn't excuse continuing the practice of inequality for any reason. If we want equality, we need to make it equal.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 12:13 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• i have never understood why black andd hispanics get certain things that are just for their race, but ANYTHING having to do only with white people is racist and offensive to blacks aand hispanics. the college funds just for blacks make no since at all, because if somehing like that was set up for white people there would be a big uproar in this country, but technically it is the same thing, one race is being excluded, reguardless of which race it is.
    kmjsmommy12345

Answer by kmjsmommy12345 at 7:24 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Because it would be considered racist or disrespectful to honor only white people. Just like they have special grants for only blacks and Hispanics but they cant do that for white people because it's considered racist.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:09 AM on Oct. 14, 2010