Cell phone

What is the right age to give a child a cell phone?
I keep seeing them younger and younger...whats your op?

willkanmom

Asked by willkanmom at 10:01 AM on Oct. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• All five of my childen have a cell phone, they range from 12, 10,8,7,7, they have had since they were 4 years old. It depends on how mature they are but in our case it is medical nearcessy.
    butterflysmom

Answer by butterflysmom at 10:06 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• It really depends on your life style.but I dont see a problem with kids having cell phones.I mean with all the parent control features now it really is not a huge deal.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 10:23 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I don't think they are a necessity for any kid until they are perhaps driving.  My kids are 4, 8, 9 and 10 and none of them have phones and won't for a long time.  If, by some chance, we decide to get them a phone it will be one that they all share and will only be allowed to use it when they are out together (they are allowed to wander around our neighborhood).  It would be turned off and put up inside the house, would have no texting or pictures and wouldn't go to school with them.  The only reason I see getting one right now is that we don't have a land line and sometimes they stay home for an hour (at least the older ones) or two while I run to the store.  I suaully have to leave my phone with them but then I don't have one if something happens to me and the younger kids.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:30 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• mine is 7 got his firfly at 5! It is a safety phone, and i find it to be a relieving comfort
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:40 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• This is my own opinion. Driving age, about 16, when they start going to the movies on their own or walking to the rec-center or mall on their own also when they are able to have a job. And it wont be a phone for them to text and have fun on, just one where they can call me, their dad or emergency 911. Possibly a couple of other family members. If they want a phone that does more then they can pay for it themselves.
    I didn't have a phone until I was 18 and did just fine. I called my parents from friends phones, or pay phones if I had to check in or let them know if plans changed.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 10:43 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My son got his at 10. That was 5 years ago. We'll see when my daughter's friends start getting them. Right now she is 7 and hasn't asked.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:46 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• It's really about fitting in, a social thing. There really are no more pay phones.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My oldest daughter will get her first phone when she's 5. I think she should be able to contact me when she's out with other family members if something happens or if she's upset and wants to come home. There's so many parental controls that I'm not worried about anything. Also if I'm out and about and she needs something or wants me, she should be able to get a hold of me. I'm not going to have her rely on using someone else's phone to do that.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:23 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I say 8 or 9 th grades.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:15 AM on Oct. 15, 2010