how do I know if its allergy related, teething, or virus?????

My 18 month old daughter has had diahhrea for over a week now. She has been on the BRAT diet for the entire time. She does no dairy. Only Soymilk. She is tiny for her age, but very healthy. She had been drinking liquids very well, but the diahhrea is out of control!!!!!
Im wondering, considering theres no fever....could she now be allergic to Soy, could it be this bad if it were teething or could it just be a virus. I havent called the Dr, because there just gonna say, moniter what she eating, give her the BRAT diet and its probably a Virus!
Any advice from you wonderful moms would be greatly appreciated!

DD927

Asked by DD927 at 10:14 AM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son never had diarrhea when teething, but I'm sure some do.
    What about giving her probiotics to help with the diarrhea?
    Hopefully she gets to feeling better soon!
    jasesmommy0529

Answer by jasesmommy0529 at 10:22 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• viruses usualy have another symptom beside just diahrea, if she was teething she would more then like have a fever as well if not she would at lease be keeping her hands in her mouth but at that age teething do efect them like when they are little bitty.

i would really look at the soy. try giving her something beside soy for a while and see what happens. if it clears up i would say she is allergic to it.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 10:23 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Thanks ladies!
    I have had her off soy for 4 or 5 days now. She also has had her hands in her mouth alot, thats why I thougth teething. She got all her teeth from month 5-10...including her first year molars. So if its teething, its her 2 yr molars...YIKES!
    I will try the tums tablet. I agree on the no other symptoms if its virus. It is trial and error. I should also mention, she did get vaccines, but the diahhrea started a few days before that.
    DD927

Comment by DD927 (original poster) at 10:45 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• How much solids is she getting if persists take her in to she if she is dehidrated.
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 12:08 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• If she is allergic to milk or has a protein intolerance it is very common to have an issue with soy too. My son has horrible diarrhea if he has soy and he can't have any milk. So he is off both of those.

Trying the probiotics is a really good idea though especially since she isn't getting any dairy.
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 2:48 PM on Oct. 14, 2010