Race

I've always tried to get my children to not be racist and look at other people differantly, when they were small they had black dolls. Now my youngest daughter is interested in interacial boys. I'm ok with it but everyone else is having a fit and tells her so, My husband says you stay with your own kind. What do you think? Will it be harder for her if she gets involved with a interacial boy. Is this a phase? She has liked white boys before oh by the way she is only 11.

Momabear455

Asked by Momabear455 at 10:24 AM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would not be concerned about interacial at this stage in her life, but get her busy with things other than boys. I am not prejudice, I have many good friends that are not the 'same race' as I am. I do however believe that interracial dating/marriage relationships can be difficult. Relationships are hard enough with out the outside pressures of cultural differences. Let's face it, there are differences. And people are prejudice. It's ignorant to go into a interracial relationship believing that 'love' will concur all. Life is hard, and you must choose to be willing to face the battles that will come your way and any potential childs way.
    MKsGrammie

Answer by MKsGrammie at 5:03 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• there is nothing wrong with your daughter liking the boy- She's only 11 yrs old. She's not marring the kid. And if she was older then things might be different- Besides, When I was 11 Boys wasn't on my agenda- I was trying to make it day to day , trying to get through school,life in general. Why is it that kids today think they have to have a "boyfriend" what happen to being friends first. With all the problems going around today, and all the unwed mothers (not saying this to make anyone mad). There are to many kids having kids today. and personnally - I'm glad my parents had raised me the way they did. They always said to take pride in yourself and to make sure that your know just who and what is in your corner. I'm glad I not only have my family but I have "GOD" standing by me - holding my hand - day by day. Good luck!
    Irontontiger

Answer by Irontontiger at 1:23 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Really? Is this a phase that my daughter likes interracial boys?! "She liked white boys" "My husband says stay with your own kind"
    To me, that's kinda racist (IMO).

Maybe your daughter only sees one color.
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 10:29 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Race is a flawed concept, genetically we all share a common humanity, believing that physical charateristics determine human behavior is fallacious. Her "own kind" is the human race.
    ejkmommy

Answer by ejkmommy at 10:31 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• i wouldnt encourage her to like any boys at 11 yrs old. most kids that age do everything for shock value. if she knows dad doesnt like it, of course shes gonna do it.
    hlmommy

Answer by hlmommy at 10:40 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• my father told me to stay with my own kind...but 12 years later i have a bi-racial dd and my dh is mexican lol and im german...
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 10:44 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Eleven is way too young for you to be concerned about this. Let her have all the friends she can.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 12:52 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Regardless to you buying your daughter "black dolls" there will always be a problem with her dating outside her race because your husband does not agree with her dating outside her kind...and just for the record, buying a black dolls does not constitute your daughter respecting and liking other races. There was a time when only "white" dolls were produced and "black" little girls had to play with them. Without the proper knowledge of knowing that people shouldn't be judged by thier skin but by the content of their character, your daughter will always have problems. Once YOU are secured in this knowledge, she will be too!
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 1:57 PM on Oct. 15, 2010