What can DCFS do if you don't agree to their safety plan?

About a month ago my 11 yr old son tried to kill himself. We found out about it, and had him admitted to a mental hospital. After MUCH counseling and evaluation, we found out that he had been "experimenting" with his sister. He has OCD, he got curious, and he acted on it. After that he started using that as a soothing mechanism. We were of course heartbroken and outraged, but as soon as we found out about everything, we've gotten all of the counseling and help we were told to. A DCFS investigation was opened up, and my son has had to stay with family. His counseler now says it's time for him to come home and be with his family again. We'll have to have an in home safety plan, and now that we're aware of what happened, I know I can keep the kids safe. DCFS is dragging things out, and our caseworkers supervisors supervisor won't drop the plan. What can they do if we refuse to sign another?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Oct. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• what i was told to do was to actually make a safety plan WITH them... don't let them just write it out and make you sign it. give your input on what you think should be in it.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 10:30 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I agree with Gracefulsky you need to have a say in this also and if you also think that it is in the BEST INTEREST OF YOUR FAMILY to have your son come home and be with everyone then you need to put your input in this safty plan also and follow the plan. Other then that if you refuse to sign it they could not allow your child to come home.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 10:36 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Unfortunately DCF can move / keep your child in foster care until you comply.
    grammamamma

Answer by grammamamma at 3:44 PM on Oct. 14, 2010