gift ettiquette?

do you still send a gift if you are unable to attend a young child's birthday party? would it depend on how close you are to the family? i never know what is the "right" thing to do. if it is for a very close friend, i will still get a gift even if i cannot attend the party. or, if i planned to attend until the last minute when something came up, i would already have a gift for the child. but, i've been invited to parties for people that aren't close friends, or we were friends in highschool, but knew ahead of time i couldn't attend, is it still proper to send a gift? or is it okay not to send one, especially if we are low on cash?

kyriesmommy13

Asked by kyriesmommy13 at 10:30 AM on Oct. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• if you cannot afford a gift, its always ok to not give. chances are, your invitation came because they wanted you to celebrate with them. if i don't know the child/person, and can't attend, i do nothing, but RSVP my non-attendance. if i am close to the celebrant, and otherwise would be there but for circumstances out of my control or scheduling conflict, yes, i'd send a gift.

dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:33 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• no, especially for a young child. I don't worry about it and chances are neither will they.

at worst I'll send the gift with my kid to school to give to them. But no, I wouldn't worry about it
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 10:31 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Unless it is my sister's children, if I can't attend, I don't send a gift.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:32 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I don't give a gift unless we attend the party. Even for my neice. I wouldn't always gift either, but I feel bad showing up to a party empty handed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• yes!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:36 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I wouldn't send a gift if I didn't attend unless it was close family or friends - The ones that I would probably send a gift to if they didn't even have a party or I was too far away to get invited.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 11:45 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• It would really depend on how close to the family I was. I wouldn't send a note though I would just let it go.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:44 AM on Oct. 14, 2010