Online Colleges/Universities..?

(Not sure where to put this question, lol)
Has anyone had any experience with online colleges/universities like Devry, Phoenix, ITT Tech?

I really want to get going in school, but I need something that works with my schedule so I really need to go online, but I'm leery about these schools. Has anyone been to one of these or somewhere similar? Did you get a degree? What was your experience? Was in costly(more so than average college tuition)?

Thanks ladies for your help :)

RJsMom116

Asked by RJsMom116 at 10:30 AM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Money & Work

• I have some experience with going to school online. I take most of my classes online through the local college around here. The price is about the same as taking a the actual class. There is a lot more work involved in online classes and a lot more reading because there is not a teacher.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 10:32 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I did online school for about a year; I hit a road block with a class that didn't agree with me and I quit because I couldn't get past the class. I tried going for BA in Business Administration, but the first algebra class kicked my ass.

I chose Grantham University (www.grantham.edu) because of how well it catered to the busy life of a service member (I was still active duty when I started). They have awesome degree programs and I feel that they're well priced for online courses. I don't think Grantham is nearly as expensive as ITT or DeVry.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:33 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I do not have personal experience with online schools, but most of them do not have the same accreditation as traditional colleges and universities, so it can hurt you if you need to transfer to another school or in finding a job after graduation. I would recommend online classes through a traditional, non-profit, college or university.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 10:46 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Go online thru a local community college or a school that has a building as well. University of phoenix has a school here in my town and they are online too. But regular community colleges are way cheaper
    mamakrysoftwo

Answer by mamakrysoftwo at 10:46 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I did Colorado Technical University (CTU) online. I know they have a campus in Colorado Springs, CO, I think Denver, CO and another somewhere in KS. There are pros and cons. I only had to go for about 6 months to finish my Associates degree, so it wasn't too bad for me. The pros were that since I'm hearing impaired, it worked out great for me because I wasn't struggling to understand the lectures and such (and I was able to get the live chat's closed-captioned, so that helped). It also fit in with my schedule because I could work at my own pace, as long as I got my assignments turned in on time.

CONS: The professors are rarely consistent with each other. One will say "This is acceptable" while another will say the opposite (when speaking about formatting your research papers). Others are not clear on their course expectations. This was a huge battle that DH had, particularly with one of his courses.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 10:47 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I'm not sure of the cost comparison between it and a regular campus though.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 10:48 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• What what I hear you end up spending more money than a traditional school with less prestige.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:35 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• The thing about them is that while it is expensive, you have to honestly have just as much time to devote to them as you would if you took classes at the university. It is a lot of work.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:44 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I have never ventured into this, but from what I gather you need to like triple check affiliation and accredidation.
    Try using a school like Boston University that has a great reputation already...I know they offer some Online classes.
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 3:40 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Thank you all!! Very helpful :)
    RJsMom116

Comment by RJsMom116 (original poster) at 7:33 PM on Oct. 15, 2010