would you give your child a pre-owned toy for christmas?

my dh wants to get our dd a battery operated car for christmas, but we can't see spending tons of money on one. we are looking for a pre-owned one, but i'm not sure how i feel about giving it to her for christmas? i know my parents never gave me or my brother a used toy, and we were on the poor side. what are your thoughts?

Asked by kyriesmommy13 at 10:33 AM on Oct. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• In this economy it's a great idea. You're not only saving money but also helping the person selling it. If the toy works and is in good condition I certainly would do it. Actually, when you think of it, it's even helping with recycling!

Answer by AlisonAstair at 11:27 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• i would buy a used one...little kids dont really care if it is new or not they only care if it works lol

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 10:35 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• if its in good condition, and works well, why not? she won't know, unless its scratched up.

Answer by dullscissors at 10:35 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• If it works, why would you want to spend the extra on new. Why would you want to dirty the environment by having to produce more? Something is wrong with worrying about the cost, the new, You can get toys for pennies on the dollar that have hardly been used.

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:35 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• i personally wouldnt, but I think that it is okay!

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:35 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• it would depend on what it was...something like a go cart or something really big long as it was in good condition

Answer by shay1130 at 10:40 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I see nothing wrong with it at all.

Answer by Melbornj at 10:42 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• When my oldest son was 9 he wanted a bicycle, and we couldn't afford one because my husband had been laid off. We bought him a used one, my husband fixed it up and painted it his favorite color, and we gave it to him for Christmas....he loved it!!

I agree with you that the cost of those cars is outrageous, and the fact is that kids grow out of them quickly. It would be different if they used them for years. My neighbor bought one for their little girl, and I've only seen her use it a few times.....then she outgrew it...they do at least have a younger girl that will use it.

Anyway, I think it's fine....

Answer by ohwrite at 11:14 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• We have had to the last few years or our kids would not have gotten anything.

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:31 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I would, and have for my son. We found a used bike in fairly good shape and got it for his 3rd birthday.

Answer by montanagal2005 at 11:33 AM on Oct. 14, 2010